From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 01:59:30
1 On 4/9/19 6:49 PM, Chris Reffett wrote:
2 >
3 > (Picking one thread to reply to, but this applies to the discussion as a
4 > whole)
7 Same. This is a tough one.
8
9 I don't care much at all about the copyright angle. Copyright has always
10 been a fundamentally inconsistent concept. We all violate copyright law
11 millions of times a day, and there's no way to avoid that in modern
12 society. This campaign is simply doing what everyone else does in that
13 regard: pretend we give a shit, so people don't see us as heretics. The
14 fact that we've gotten ourselves into a logical pickle here is not
15 unexpected given that we're trying to play a game that doesn't make any
16 sense. I'll sleep fine either way.
17
18 What I do care about is that ultimately the only form of trust our users
19 have is based on our reputations. I'm a real person: you can search for
20 my name, find out where I work, who my friends are, call my girlfriend
21 and tell her I suck. That's *not* what's keeping me from committing a
22 backdoor to Gentoo. But that *is* why you trust me not to do it. I have
23 a few simplified-to-the-point-of-absurdity computer security rules, one
24 of which goes like "don't run code from anyone you can't find and punch
25 in the face." To that end, not having a real identity associated with a
26 developer account is troubling.
27
28 But, of course, I like having our pseudonymous contributors around
29 fixing stuff too.