From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2021-05-09
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 10:33:43
1 > Please respond to this message with any items you would like us to
2 > discuss or vote on. The agenda will be sent to this list a week from
3 > now (2021-05-02).
4
5 Further to the suggestion to discuss the status of LTO support in Gentoo
6 (sorry about not replying to that message directly, turns our I must
7 have already deleted it), something to keep in mind while comparing
8 ourselves to binary distros which already enable LTO: whereas in their
9 respective cases the build hosts can if needed be configured in highly
10 specific fashion (i.e. with some tools built without LTO in order to
11 work around quirks in compilation procedures of other packages, while
12 still using LTO to build general-availability packages of the same
13 tools), in case of source distributions like Gentoo the build and the
14 runtime environment are by definition one and the same. Therefore, LTO
15 might still well be dangerous for us even if it no longer is for them.
18 Marecki

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature