From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:46:08
1 On 10/13/2016 11:33 AM, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 >
3 >> I'm not sure it's drastic to change our metastructure this way as much
4 >> as people seem to think. It would be bringing it in line with the real
5 >> world, as mentioned elsewhere, the two headed beast that we are works
6 >> only if the two heads are very friendly.
7 >
8 > This doesn't make any sense.
9 >
10 > Our current metastructure has worked for years. I have yet to see any
11 > evidence that it is not working any longer.
12 >
13 > Further, the collateral damage done by changing the project structure
14 > now must not be underestimated. People tend to feel strongly about such
15 > changes. It might far outweigh any perceived benefits.
16 >
17 > And last, quite a number of (community driven) projects clearly
18 > distinguish between a lead/group for legalese and financial matters and
19 > a technical/community leadership. We are no exception here. So why
20 > should we change it?
21 >
22 > Best,
23 > Matthias
26 The current problem (that this attempts to solve) is that the technical
27 leadership is doing things it should not be responsible for (primarily
28 comrel) but also pr and possibly infra. I don't see the metastructure
29 changing except for moving these groups.
30
31 As far as our current metastructure being good enough, it might have
32 worked in the past and it might work in the future but I think the
33 change is necessary to work better in the future. The argument you
34 stated as 'It might far outweigh any perceived benefits.' is possible
35 (which is part of why it's being discussed) but I disagree, I think the
36 future benefits outweigh the current pain.
39 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)