From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:25:11
1 > The current problem (that this attempts to solve) is that the technical
2 > leadership is doing things it should not be responsible for (primarily
3 > comrel) but also pr and possibly infra.
4
5 And what exactly would make the Foundation more appropriate to rule over
6 interpersonal matters of a (disconnected) body of developers?
7
8 I, for example, am not a member of the Foundation. And I guess quite a
9 sizable number of Gentoo Developers isn't either. So what kind of
10 democratic legitimacy would have, for example, the board of trustees
11 have? [1]
14 Further, as a more or less complete bystander (not involved in the
15 Foundation, council, or comrel) I have the impression that such a move -
16 i.e., transferring power from council/comrel to the foundation is
17 overwhelmingly demanded by trustees, foundation members, and complete
18 bystanders.
19
20 I cannot stop the feeling that this is some sort of personal grudge, or
21 disagreement with council and comrel that is tried to be fought out that
22 way.
23
24 Is it that way?
25
26 If not,
27
28 - why should the council not be in charge of inter-developer issues? It
29 is an elected body from the Gentoo _developer_ community.
30
31 - what makes the Trustees more appropriate for that job?
32
33 - and if we choose to unite "governing power" over Gentoo as a whole to
34 Trustees, who will act as a (necessary) counterpart to cross check
35 financial affairs?
36
37 Best,
38 Matthias
39
40 [1] Apart from that participation of non-gentoo developers in decisions
41 over gentoo developers is in my opinion quite problematic.