From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:36:55
1 On 10/13/2016 03:24 PM, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 >> The current problem (that this attempts to solve) is that the technical
3 >> leadership is doing things it should not be responsible for (primarily
4 >> comrel) but also pr and possibly infra.
5 >
6 > And what exactly would make the Foundation more appropriate to rule over
7 > interpersonal matters of a (disconnected) body of developers?
8 >
9 Council is for technical decisions, that they rule over 'HR' decisions
10 is an overstep. 'HR' is generally close to legal, and thus the foundation.
11
12 > I, for example, am not a member of the Foundation. And I guess quite a
13 > sizable number of Gentoo Developers isn't either. So what kind of
14 > democratic legitimacy would have, for example, the board of trustees
15 > have? [1]
16 >
17 You could apply to be a member if you wanted, as could anyone at this
18 point. The Trustees are elected by the Foundation members.
21 > Further, as a more or less complete bystander (not involved in the
22 > Foundation, council, or comrel) I have the impression that such a move -
23 > i.e., transferring power from council/comrel to the foundation is
24 > overwhelmingly demanded by trustees, foundation members, and complete
25 > bystanders.
26
27 I don't think it's currently being demanded. At the moment I see this
28 as solving long standing metastructure problems.
31 > I cannot stop the feeling that this is some sort of personal grudge, or
32 > disagreement with council and comrel that is tried to be fought out that
33 > way.
34 >
35 It could have started out that way, but I'm not carrying it out as such.
36
37 > Is it that way?
38 >
39 > If not,
40 >
41 > - why should the council not be in charge of inter-developer issues? It
42 > is an elected body from the Gentoo _developer_ community.
43 >
44 Answered above, but 'HR' is close to legal in my mind.
45
46 > - what makes the Trustees more appropriate for that job?
47 >
48 Answered above, but 'HR' is close to legal in my mind.
49
50 > - and if we choose to unite "governing power" over Gentoo as a whole to
51 > Trustees, who will act as a (necessary) counterpart to cross check
52 > financial affairs?
53 >
54 Could you explain what you are asking here? We currently have a
55 treasurer that is doing that. IRS maybe?
56
57 > Best,
58 > Matthias
59 >
60 > [1] Apart from that participation of non-gentoo developers in decisions
61 > over gentoo developers is in my opinion quite problematic.
66 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)