From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] libressl/openbsd fundraising campaign
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:42:29
1 On 03/05/2015 05:19 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 >
3 > As for libressl, idea of the project is good, but what worries me
4 > that it is API incompatible with other solutions. So it can't be
5 > used as a drop-in replacement for openssl or other implementations.
6 > This way more resources are being dispersed for nothing.
9 No, it is mostly API compatible (similar to ffmpeg/libav), but
10 definitely not ABI compatible. They have broken the API only where they
11 thought the feature is so bad, it should be removed (e.g. RAND_egd() or
12 compression support). A lot of build failures are just build system
13 related (e.g. people checking for a specific openssl version).
14
15 I am using it as a drop-in replacement on 3 machines, including a server.