From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] libressl/openbsd fundraising campaign
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 04:19:50
1 On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:49:02 -0500 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 03/04/15 13:50, hasufell wrote:
3 > > As one of the contributors of the gentoo libressl ebuild overlay [0]
4 > > I've been asked to retweet the libressl/openbsd call for donation in
5 > > 2015 [1].
6 > >
7 > > Since a lot of people think of gentoo in terms of "freedom of choice", I
8 > > think the gentoo community might be interested to endorse the efforts of
9 > > the libressl developers.
10 > >
11 > > I don't intend to regularly post fundraising requests, but since openssl
12 > > is such a fundamental part of our operating system and internet
13 > > security, I guess it makes sense to raise awareness here.
16 > > --
17 > > [0] https://github.com/gentoo/libressl
18 > > [1] http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2015.html
21 > Thanks you for posting this. I understand and share your caution about
22 > posting about fundraisers, but there are a few issues worth
23 > "retweeting". I think this is one.
24 >
25 > openssl + heartbleed and all that made me aware how tenuous some
26 > critical opensource projects are. Another example is bash. Yet another
27 > is gpg. Its good to get the word out.
28
29 The fact that closed projects don't disclosure such vulnerability
30 information doesn't imply there are none there. And the fact that
31 there is no public audit of the code implies that code quality is
32 much worse, so more critical bugs are there.
33
34 As for libressl, idea of the project is good, but what worries me
35 that it is API incompatible with other solutions. So it can't be
36 used as a drop-in replacement for openssl or other implementations.
37 This way more resources are being dispersed for nothing.
38
39 Best regards,
40 Andrew Savchenko