From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 03:33:32
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:16 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > I disagree strongly and think this is unwise because many may contribute
8 >> > but
9 >> > not have time to go through the recruitment process or any interest in
10 >> > being
11 >> > part of the project. Also, it is critical that there is representation
12 >> > from
13 >> > outside of the project proper, as the Gentoo developer world can become
14 >> > (many will argue that is already has become) a kind of mono-culture.
15 >>
16 >> Is the intent really for these non-developer Foundation members to be
17 >> considered "outside of the project proper?"
18 >>
19 >> Are they stakeholder or aren't they? If they are, then we shouldn't
20 >> treat them like second class citizens. If they aren't, then we
21 >> shouldn't treat them as if they are. Certainly we can listen to them,
22 >> but they shouldn't be part of formal governance.
23 >>
24 >> If the concern is that we become a "mono-culture" wouldn't it make
25 >> more sense to bring in the voices that would make it not be a
26 >> mono-culture?
27 >>
28 >> How is it better to instead keep those voices outside, but then give
29 >> them the power to shame those who are actually actively contributing?
32 > Rich, I really have no time to discuss every minor point into the ground, so
33 > I will refrain from replying to your esoteric questions. I think my
34 > perspective is clear and can be understood by anyone who sincerely attempts
35 > to do so.
38 http://wondermark.com/1k62/
41 To respond to Mr. Freeman:
42
43 All I (or really anyone) has complained about or can complain about is
44 unanswered questions. I sincerely doubt anyone is bothered that people
45 they aren't paying won't do exactly what they want. But in the sense
46 that most individuals involved, users and developers, are trying to
47 find the best technical solutions to hard problems, some users expect
48 decisions to be justified.
49
50 If a decision is being made there should be *something* that can be
51 said in its defense. At some point, yes, questions will bog the
52 answerer down and there's no point in replying.
53
54 Not so cheerfully,
55 R0b0t1