From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: Plan, then communicate (no-list)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:46:57
1 Richard Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Steve Long wrote:
4 >> Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>> Talking to users is exhausting when the user really has a
6 >>> misconception about a given problem, program, or feature.
7 >> Yeah it's called requirements analysis (whichever model you use.) That's
8 >> why it's such a source of problems.
11 > True. I think one of the underlying issues in this mess though is "who
12 > is the customer?"
13 >
14 I accept your points, but a distro's customers are its end-users. Simple.
15 Doesn't matter if some of them happen to be devs or power-users or
16 developers from other projects or a total newb. They are Gentoo's
17 customers.
18
19 The same applies to any software-project. If you don't look after your
20 users, you don't get paid (in the real world.) Without users Gentoo will
21 wither eventually. No real glory in working on a project no-one uses (even
22 if you and your mates think it's great and continue to use it; where will
23 you get new devs from when the others get a real job?)
24
25 > If I'm assigned to a project at work I typically have a customer that
26 > I'm aiming to make happy. If the customer ends up happy, I get
27 > rewarded, and if the customer is unhappy I get punished. If somebody
28 > other than the customer gives me some requirements they're usually only
29 > taken into consideration to the degree that they can be handled without
30 > significant additional cost, or interference with the customer's needs.
31 >
32 > It is the same in the open source world. The customer is whoever
33 > rewards or punishes you. Most often the customer is a peer of some sort
34 > - you take care of their php headaches and they take care of your
35 > baselayout headaches or whatever. The customer is often yourself - you
36 > want to use some package not in portage - just add it. Rarely is the
37 > customer an end user - the users aren't really in a position to reward
38 > you except in the most general sense - and if you take care of everybody
39 > else chances are you'll make a bunch of users happy anyway.
40 >
41 IDK; I thought the whole furore over the Foundation was quite stressful. And
42 I can't imagine any dev worth the name liking users' consistent and
43 bitterly eloquent complaints about the behaviour of their peers. It makes
44 me ashamed on IRC when they tell me about and I'm just a user; I simply
45 can't understand how some of your peers can be so unpleasant and no-one
46 says a word about it.
47
48 You represent Gentoo: that should be in every dev's head whenever they post
49 using a gentoo.org address. Yes your opinions are your own etc, but if you
50 behave like a stroppy teenager it reflects badly on everyone else. Doesn't
51 matter what your position is, whether you're on the Council or leading a
52 herd; if you behave badly someone should pick you up on it, *publically*
53 imo. You behave badly in public, you get picked up on it in the same
54 medium. That's what would make your "justice" seen to be done and give
55 people confidence that Gentoo as a whole will not tolerate nastiness in its
56 ranks.
57
58 ATM the very opposite seems to be true (and no it doesn't need a BDFL to
59 sort that out, nor would a BDFL be /able/ to sort that out imo: it has to
60 be a collective thing.)
61
62 > I'm not saying this is how it ought to be - but it is how it tends to be
63 > in the open source world. How does IBM get its fancy hardware supported
64 > in linux? They do a few things - one is that they write the drivers
65 > themselves, and two is that they give away all kinds of fancy code away
66 > so that the kernel maintainers are inclined to commit those drivers and
67 > take them forward. They don't just stand up and complain that there
68 > aren't enough kernel devs buying mainframes and writing code for them.
69 >
70 Er yeah, but when users do try to get involved, believe me they get put off.
71 I'm not saying you do it (you're engaging in this discussion) but there is
72 a prevalent attitude towards "lusers." The funny thing is others use that
73 to mean all Linux users, specifically including Gentoo devs in some cases.
74
75 IBM invests in Linux because there is a return on that investment. Users
76 invest a lot, in time, and also emotion - defending Gentoo to detractors.
77 Personally I find it amazing that devs are so short-sighted: if you don't
78 want to interact, simply don't. Don't be nasty, don't sneer at users, just
79 stfu and let someone else handle it; or maybe, you know, honour the
80 agreement you made when you signed on, and start representing Gentoo, not
81 your own ego.
82
83 > You can always ask nicely - but one person asking nicely doesn't
84 > obligate anybody else to respond. If what they're asking for entails a
85 > lot of work or a long-term maintenance commitment, they might need to do
86 > it themselves or find somebody else willing to do it. However, asking
87 > nicely will generally get you further than asking rudely.
88 >
89 Indeed: maybe devs should think about that when they complain they don't
90 have enough help. How on Earth do you (as a group) expect to get it when
91 a) you don't ask and b) you are contemptuous of anyone offering it?
92
93 > More than anything else gentoo needs people to step up and DO things.
94 > If your favorite package is stale volunteer to maintain it. Or at least
95 > volunteer to proxy-maintain it - convincing a developer you're willing
96 > to take the responsibility seriously so that they can do commits for
97 > you. What you can't just do is throw an ebuild into bugzilla and
98 > complain when it doesn't get committed - a dev would be reluctant to
99 > just commit an ebuild without personally making sure it works well -
100 > since they get to deal with all the complaints when 5,000 servers stop
101 > working.
102 >
103 Sure: I tell people in #-dev-help to submit and when it's maintainer-wanted,
104 to take it to #gentoo-sunrise. I find it suprising that they don't already
105 know about it tbh.
106
107 > I'm not too worried - people are stepping up and the current situation
108 > will pass. Considering that even welfare recipients find something
109 > about their free money to complain about in the US I'm not surprised
110 > that users who are offered a free operating system can find time to make
111 > demands of the people who gave it to them. That's just human nature. I
112 > think that most users will just take all of this in stride. I'd love to
113 > see more done to get users involved and make them feel like they have a
114 > voice, but users do need to understand that while they have a right to
115 > speak up nobody has an obligation to take orders...
116
117 Yeah take it as read that we accept that you are here voluntarily. (So are
118 we btw.) What specifically do you think could be done to help your users
119 feel like Gentoo cares about them, rather than views them as an annoyance?
120
121 Other projects (eg btrfs) *like* the attention they get from Gentoo users.
122 They don't balk at editing config files etc, and they don't mind being told
123 somthing's b0rked, and they need to start again. If it helps, think of your
124 users as your fans.
125
126 Yes they can be annoying: but every single one of them cares about Gentoo.
127
128 I sometimes wonder if some of the devs do the same; they seem more concerned
129 with their own glory and absolutely hate being told they messed up. So you
130 get bitchy little arguments on bugzilla denying a problem, when they should
131 just fix the mess and move on.
134 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list