From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Plan, then communicate (no-list)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:37:58
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> Talking to users is exhausting when the user really has a
4 >> misconception about a given problem, program, or feature.
5 > Yeah it's called requirements analysis (whichever model you use.) That's why
6 > it's such a source of problems.
9 True. I think one of the underlying issues in this mess though is "who
10 is the customer?"
11
12 If I'm assigned to a project at work I typically have a customer that
13 I'm aiming to make happy. If the customer ends up happy, I get
14 rewarded, and if the customer is unhappy I get punished. If somebody
15 other than the customer gives me some requirements they're usually only
16 taken into consideration to the degree that they can be handled without
17 significant additional cost, or interference with the customer's needs.
18
19 It is the same in the open source world. The customer is whoever
20 rewards or punishes you. Most often the customer is a peer of some sort
21 - you take care of their php headaches and they take care of your
22 baselayout headaches or whatever. The customer is often yourself - you
23 want to use some package not in portage - just add it. Rarely is the
24 customer an end user - the users aren't really in a position to reward
25 you except in the most general sense - and if you take care of everybody
26 else chances are you'll make a bunch of users happy anyway.
27
28 I'm not saying this is how it ought to be - but it is how it tends to be
29 in the open source world. How does IBM get its fancy hardware supported
30 in linux? They do a few things - one is that they write the drivers
31 themselves, and two is that they give away all kinds of fancy code away
32 so that the kernel maintainers are inclined to commit those drivers and
33 take them forward. They don't just stand up and complain that there
34 aren't enough kernel devs buying mainframes and writing code for them.
35
36 You can always ask nicely - but one person asking nicely doesn't
37 obligate anybody else to respond. If what they're asking for entails a
38 lot of work or a long-term maintenance commitment, they might need to do
39 it themselves or find somebody else willing to do it. However, asking
40 nicely will generally get you further than asking rudely.
41
42 More than anything else gentoo needs people to step up and DO things.
43 If your favorite package is stale volunteer to maintain it. Or at least
44 volunteer to proxy-maintain it - convincing a developer you're willing
45 to take the responsibility seriously so that they can do commits for
46 you. What you can't just do is throw an ebuild into bugzilla and
47 complain when it doesn't get committed - a dev would be reluctant to
48 just commit an ebuild without personally making sure it works well -
49 since they get to deal with all the complaints when 5,000 servers stop
50 working.
51
52 I'm not too worried - people are stepping up and the current situation
53 will pass. Considering that even welfare recipients find something
54 about their free money to complain about in the US I'm not surprised
55 that users who are offered a free operating system can find time to make
56 demands of the people who gave it to them. That's just human nature. I
57 think that most users will just take all of this in stride. I'd love to
58 see more done to get users involved and make them feel like they have a
59 voice, but users do need to understand that while they have a right to
60 speak up nobody has an obligation to take orders...
61 --
62 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list