From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 04:38:55
1 On 01/04/15 18:27, hasufell wrote:
2 > Dean Stephens:
3 >> On 12/30/14 09:25, hasufell wrote:
4 >>> Dean Stephens:
5 >>>> On 12/29/14 15:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>>>> I'll certainly agree that not everything needs a formal project.
7 >>>>> However, if a project wants to have authority/autonomy beyond
8 >>>>> anything-goes, then it should welcome members and elect a lead
9 >>>>> regularly.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>> There is at least a defensible argument to be made that being able to
12 >>>> reject applicants is more important to being able to maintain a coherent
13 >>>> project than the often indicated duty to accept anyone who shows interest.
14 >>>>
15 >>>
16 >>> What about projects that don't even reject, but rather ignore
17 >>> devs/contributors?
18 >>>
19 >> If they have a maintained project page, have elected a lead in the past
20 >> 12 months, and that lead is otherwise active; take it for what it is:
21 >> rejection [1]. Otherwise, they either need to elect a new lead or allow
22 >> the project to dissolve, according to GLEP 39 [2].
23 >>
24 >>> We tell them to elect a new lead, so we don't have to deal with the
25 >>> people who screwed up, but can say "here, they formally are a functional
26 >>> project according to a random glep... problem solved".
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >> So, the document specifying the organizational structure of Gentoo as a
30 >> whole [2, again] is just "a random glep" now? Is anyone supposed to take
31 >> that rhetoric seriously or were you attempting to use humor? Either make
32 >> a concrete proposal to update or entirely supersede the existing project
33 >> structure or work within it, merely complaining about it is pointless.
36 > You did not get the point. The point is that the problem is not the GLEP
37 > in the first place. By forging just the GLEP, you will not get the
38 > problem solved.
39 >
40 Are you then proposing that some entity enforce GLEP 39 constraints?
41 (Hint: a mechanism already exists for that.)
42 Are you proposing that those constraints be relaxed in some specific way?
43 If so, under what conditions?
44 If a project has no leads, who is responsible for maintaining project
45 roll call?
46 If nobody is tasked with keeping the roll call up to date, as much as
47 possible given technical constraints, how can a project page be
48 determined to be definitely out of date?
49 If there are no constraints with regard to a project page being kept up
50 to date and no need for project leads for anything at all, what are your
51 new constraints for a project to be considered active?
52 Am I to keep guessing until you deign to reveal something resembling a
53 proposal?
54
55 If this is all still about your witch hunt, do kindly consider the
56 pocket veto article[1] I had referred you to earlier, it applies. Not
57 everyone is necessarily going to want to work with everyone else,
58 especially when there is negative personal history or indications that
59 the prospective newcomer, to whatever role, is ill suited to that role
60 to consider. Even if it is merely a matter of disinterest, if a project
61 lead does not want to work with you, trying to force them to will only
62 end badly.
63
64 > And I have been very specific indeed.
67 Where, pray tell?
68
69 The closest that you appear to have come to a concrete suggestion in
70 this entire discussion is "No, you don't need a project lead. You can
71 just say any member can speak for the whole project at any time."
72 Is that supposed to be across Gentoo as a whole?
73 If so, what about teams that actually want a designated external
74 interface or technical decision maker? Are they just to individually
75 reply "ask the person we decided to fill the role of lead, but we can't
76 call them that because hasufell didn't like the terminology"?
77 If not, how, exactly is that decision to be formally reached, and
78 published, so that other projects can know that that is actually the
79 intended interface for a given project?
80 What about rescinding that decision?
81 Is publishing it in their project pages enough?
82
83 A the moment what, exactly, is stopping a project from electing every
84 member as a co-lead, or a figurehead lead who leaves a note in their
85 project page that anyone in the project can respond to anything for the
86 project as a whole? (Nothing, in case you were wondering.) How would
87 that functionally differ from what you have so vaguely suggested so far?
88 (It wouldn't.)
89
90 In short: what exactly are you proposing and could it be done without
91 adding new rules?
92
93 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_veto