From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 14:06:36
1 Dean Stephens:
2 > On 01/04/15 18:27, hasufell wrote:
3 >> Dean Stephens:
4 >>> On 12/30/14 09:25, hasufell wrote:
5 >>>> Dean Stephens:
6 >>>>> On 12/29/14 15:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>>>> I'll certainly agree that not everything needs a formal project.
8 >>>>>> However, if a project wants to have authority/autonomy beyond
9 >>>>>> anything-goes, then it should welcome members and elect a lead
10 >>>>>> regularly.
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>> There is at least a defensible argument to be made that being able to
13 >>>>> reject applicants is more important to being able to maintain a coherent
14 >>>>> project than the often indicated duty to accept anyone who shows interest.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> What about projects that don't even reject, but rather ignore
18 >>>> devs/contributors?
19 >>>>
20 >>> If they have a maintained project page, have elected a lead in the past
21 >>> 12 months, and that lead is otherwise active; take it for what it is:
22 >>> rejection [1]. Otherwise, they either need to elect a new lead or allow
23 >>> the project to dissolve, according to GLEP 39 [2].
24 >>>
25 >>>> We tell them to elect a new lead, so we don't have to deal with the
26 >>>> people who screwed up, but can say "here, they formally are a functional
27 >>>> project according to a random glep... problem solved".
28 >>>>
29 >>>>
30 >>> So, the document specifying the organizational structure of Gentoo as a
31 >>> whole [2, again] is just "a random glep" now? Is anyone supposed to take
32 >>> that rhetoric seriously or were you attempting to use humor? Either make
33 >>> a concrete proposal to update or entirely supersede the existing project
34 >>> structure or work within it, merely complaining about it is pointless.
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> You did not get the point. The point is that the problem is not the GLEP
38 >> in the first place. By forging just the GLEP, you will not get the
39 >> problem solved.
40 >>
41 > Are you then proposing that some entity enforce GLEP 39 constraints?
42 > (Hint: a mechanism already exists for that.)
43 > Are you proposing that those constraints be relaxed in some specific way?
44 > If so, under what conditions?
45 > If a project has no leads, who is responsible for maintaining project
46 > roll call?
47 > If nobody is tasked with keeping the roll call up to date, as much as
48 > possible given technical constraints, how can a project page be
49 > determined to be definitely out of date?
50 > If there are no constraints with regard to a project page being kept up
51 > to date and no need for project leads for anything at all, what are your
52 > new constraints for a project to be considered active?
53 > Am I to keep guessing until you deign to reveal something resembling a
54 > proposal?
55
56 I said earlier in this thread that it's a cultural problem (in some
57 degree also a technical, but not as much as people think and I think
58 some people try to downplay it to just the technical level).
59
60 Rich said that "FOSS tends to be do-acracy", but do-acracy doesn't say
61 if the project is open to collaboration. Such projects usually end up
62 being a one-man project (we already have those and this thread is
63 exactly about them). Do we want gentoo as a whole to be a one-man
64 project again?
67 > If this is all still about your witch hunt, do kindly consider the
68 > pocket veto article[1] I had referred you to earlier, it applies. Not
69 > everyone is necessarily going to want to work with everyone else,
70 > especially when there is negative personal history or indications that
71 > the prospective newcomer, to whatever role, is ill suited to that role
72 > to consider. Even if it is merely a matter of disinterest, if a project
73 > lead does not want to work with you, trying to force them to will only
74 > end badly.
77 You again miss the point and ignore the fact that the council has
78 already agreed that SEVERAL (I'm not just talking about one) projects
79 are non-functional in the recent past.
80 It's not just about not responding to membership applications (which is
81 NOT a rejection) which has happened to several gentoo devs and had to be
82 fixed by the council.
83 It's about being non-collaborative in the sense of
84 * almost never responding to users
85 * barely responding to gentoo devs (not just me, even if you think that)
86 * sometimes not reviewing (I am serious and can give several examples)
87 ebuild/eclass proposals at all (and don't tell me not reviewing
88 something is a rejection)
89 * not keeping a project functional in so many ways that it has to be
90 brought up to the council (this shouldn't happen... we have
91 theoretically two projects before this instance: undertakers and ComRel,
92 but both seem to think it's not within their scope)
93
94 If you think this is something about a personal vendetta, then you
95 didn't follow the project ML in the last few months. It's not even about
96 a single person.
97
98 It's about do-acracy and the fact that it doesn't work without a
99 collaboration model AND mindest.
100
101 And yes... collaboration is also "no, we won't do it that way" or "no,
102 we do it differently". But it's not about "i don't give two shits what
103 bonsaikitten thinks" (some users get ComReld for saying similar things
104 on bugzilla... but if you have enough commits in gx86...)