From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 04:25:26
1 On 01/05/15 09:06, hasufell wrote:
2 > Dean Stephens:
3 >> Are you then proposing that some entity enforce GLEP 39 constraints?
4 >> (Hint: a mechanism already exists for that.)
5 >> Are you proposing that those constraints be relaxed in some specific way?
6 >> If so, under what conditions?
7 >> If a project has no leads, who is responsible for maintaining project
8 >> roll call?
9 >> If nobody is tasked with keeping the roll call up to date, as much as
10 >> possible given technical constraints, how can a project page be
11 >> determined to be definitely out of date?
12 >> If there are no constraints with regard to a project page being kept up
13 >> to date and no need for project leads for anything at all, what are your
14 >> new constraints for a project to be considered active?
15 >> Am I to keep guessing until you deign to reveal something resembling a
16 >> proposal?
17 >
18 > I said earlier in this thread that it's a cultural problem (in some
19 > degree also a technical, but not as much as people think and I think
20 > some people try to downplay it to just the technical level).
21 >
22 > Rich said that "FOSS tends to be do-acracy", but do-acracy doesn't say
23 > if the project is open to collaboration. Such projects usually end up
24 > being a one-man project (we already have those and this thread is
25 > exactly about them). Do we want gentoo as a whole to be a one-man
26 > project again?
27 >
28 Reductio ad absurdum is itself absurd here, unless you actually have
29 some examples of projects with a single developer who is refusing
30 qualified applicants with whom they can maintain functional collaboration.
31
32 Do "we" want to force people to work with anyone and everyone who claims
33 any interest, regardless of technical and social mismatches between
34 them? Regardless of whether their professed interest is beneficial to
35 the goals of the project at hand?
36
37 >> If this is all still about your witch hunt, do kindly consider the
38 >> pocket veto article[1] I had referred you to earlier, it applies. Not
39 >> everyone is necessarily going to want to work with everyone else,
40 >> especially when there is negative personal history or indications that
41 >> the prospective newcomer, to whatever role, is ill suited to that role
42 >> to consider. Even if it is merely a matter of disinterest, if a project
43 >> lead does not want to work with you, trying to force them to will only
44 >> end badly.
47 > You again miss the point and ignore the fact that the council has
48 > already agreed that SEVERAL (I'm not just talking about one) projects
49 > are non-functional in the recent past.
50 And you mistake asking you to make your point for missing what you have
51 actually conveyed so far.
52
53 Let us review these council findings. What follows is a list of Council
54 meeting summaries for all votes regarding standing projects in the past
55 two years.
56
57 QA disbanded:
58 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20131112-summary.txt
59
60 Kolab, GSE and Gentoo/Alt AT disbanded:
61 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20131119-summary.txt
62
63 Regarding the operational scope of the new QA team:
64 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20131210-summary.txt
65
66 An effectively null mention of the functional scope of QA, no summary:
67 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20140225.txt
68
69 Regarding games team work flow and scope, not its validity as a project:
70 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20140812-summary.txt
71
72 Regarding games team, again not finding against it as a project:
73 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20141021-summary.txt
74
75 Another effectively null vote regarding the games team:
76 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20141111-summary.txt
77
78 With no meeting log nor summary yet posted for the 2014-12-09 meeting.
79
80 In summary, no projects have been found to be "non-functional" in over a
81 year, none. Prior to that, one active project was forcibly disbanded and
82 three seemingly inactive projects were dissolved.
83
84 Calling votes taken over a year ago "recent" seems somewhat pushing
85 terminology, especially given your rather emphatic usage of several,
86 which apparently related only to inactive projects.
87
88 Even aside from it being rather sad that you knew exactly what was meant
89 by "your witch hunt", which implies that you recognize on some level
90 that it at least appears to others to be exactly that.
91
92 > It's not just about not responding to membership applications (which is
93 > NOT a rejection) which has happened to several gentoo devs and had to be
94 > fixed by the council.
95 It is certainly not acceptance, unless they silently add the applicant
96 to their project page, IRC channel(s) (if applicable), and any relevant
97 restricted access repositories; as such basic logic implies that what is
98 not acceptance is not acceptance. One might even call that a tautology.
99
100 > It's about being non-collaborative in the sense of
101 > * almost never responding to users
102 > * barely responding to gentoo devs (not just me, even if you think that)
103 > * sometimes not reviewing (I am serious and can give several examples)
104 > ebuild/eclass proposals at all (and don't tell me not reviewing
105 > something is a rejection)
106 > * not keeping a project functional in so many ways that it has to be
107 > brought up to the council (this shouldn't happen... we have
108 > theoretically two projects before this instance: undertakers and ComRel,
109 > but both seem to think it's not within their scope)
110 >
111 Now that you have a problem statement that is not in the form of "the
112 problem is not X", you are half way to making a proposal.
113
114 > If you think this is something about a personal vendetta, then you
115 > didn't follow the project ML in the last few months. It's not even about
116 > a single person.
117 >
118 Actually, following this mailing list and gentoo-dev is in large part
119 why I have the distinct impression that a personal problem is precisely
120 what is driving your call for still ill-defined reform.
121
122 > It's about do-acracy and the fact that it doesn't work without a
123 > collaboration model AND mindest.
124 >
125 What are you actually proposing?
126
127 > And yes... collaboration is also "no, we won't do it that way" or "no,
128 > we do it differently". But it's not about "i don't give two shits what
129 > bonsaikitten thinks" (some users get ComReld for saying similar things
130 > on bugzilla... but if you have enough commits in gx86...)