From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Triumvirate in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 15:19:54
1 On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 09:12 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 3:15 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > 1. Technical lead -- a person with exceptional technical talents that
4 > > would build the vision of Gentoo from technical perspective, i.e. make
5 > > a distribution that people would love using. Initially, this role could
6 > > be taken by the QA lead.
7 > >
8 > > 2. Social lead -- a person with exceptional social skills that would
9 > > build the vision of Gentoo from community perspective, i.e. make
10 > > a distribution that people would love contributing to. Initially, this
11 > > role would taken by the ComRel lead.
12 > >
13 > > 3. Organization lead -- a person with (exceptional) business skills that
14 > > would take care of all the financial and organizational aspects of
15 > > Gentoo, i.e. make a distribution that sustains. Initially, this role
16 > > would be taken by the Foundation president.
19 > A few thoughts:
20 >
21 > 1. There may be some legal challenges with the Foundation around
22 > this, but I don't want to elaborate on this. Many are obvious.
23
24 I don't want to shoot it down entirely because we're bound
25 to the Foundation that some of the Trustees were promising to disband
26 for years. For now, let's assume it doesn't necessarily exist,
27 and the organization triumvir is the person interacting with Foundation
28 or any other legal body.
31 > 3. Do all decisions require a majority of the 3, or will these
32 > individuals have their own scope? Will a new technical GLEP just be
33 > approved by the "tech lead" or all three? Could the two non-tech
34 > leads override the tech lead on a tech decision? Obviously the goal
35 > is collaboration but presumably you want this to solve situations
36 > where collaboration already fails. I won't go on forever but I could
37 > see challenges either way.
38
39 I dare say that one of them can make decisions if the two other don't
40 object to them. So it's mostly a matter of establishing an agreement
41 between the three whether they want to get involved every time,
42 or approve deferring specific kind of decisions to one of them.
43
44 In either case, I honestly doubt that having to wait for two others to
45 step in would be worse than the current status quo of waiting up to
46 a month for Council to meet and decide, possibly reading the proposals
47 last minute and not even having time to provide feedback without
48 deferring it further.
49
50 > 4. How does accountability work? Are we going to get volunteers who
51 > are going to be competent and accept singular accountability without
52 > compensation? We struggle to fill Trustee slots and their
53 > responsibilities are somewhat nebulous/dilute. Will somebody
54 > competent want to be singularly responsible for all fiscal problems
55 > without compensation? Don't get me wrong - singular accountability
56 > works well in practice but usually these roles are well-compensated.
57 > I could see this being a bigger problem with the org lead role.
58
59 I don't think we can know unless we see. It much depends on what
60 happens with the Foundation -- it may continue existing with lead org
61 being responsible for interacting with it, or be replaced by another org
62 with org lead being responsible for communicating with them.
63
64 > 5. I could see a lot of bleed-over. If you want to stack the
65 > leadership with pro/anti-emacs members, why would you limit that to
66 > only the technical role? Obviously I'm more concerned with more
67 > timely issues but we all know of a bunch of hot-button topics where
68 > top-down control can be used to push an agenda. So you could end up
69 > with an org lead who cares little about the financials simply because
70 > they have the right position on the hot topic of the day. Today these
71 > jobs are more delegated so that the elected board can represent the
72 > community but delegate the actual work to people who are more focused
73 > on the actual work. Sure, you could blame the voters for this sort of
74 > problem, but we already know how people tend to vote so we're not
75 > entirely blame-free if we set it up this way...
78 I don't really understand why you assume that such a thing would happen.
79 Did we ever really have someone *that* unprofessional on the Council or
80 Trustees to push puny personal agenda over the best interest
81 of the distribution? I don't see any possible change here. The same
82 problem can happen whether we're talking of 1, 3, 7 or 12 people
83 in charge. Well, you could even argue that the latter is even more
84 possible because the responsibility is diluted, while if there's just
85 one responsible person, then the full blame goes to that person.
88 Best regards,
89 Michał Górny