From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Triumvirate in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 16:08:26
1 (Keep in mind that these aren't intended as "hard" objections - just
2 trying to flesh this out a bit.)
3
4 On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 11:19 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 09:12 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > > On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 3:15 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > 3. Do all decisions require a majority of the 3, or will these
10 > > individuals have their own scope? Will a new technical GLEP just be
11 > > approved by the "tech lead" or all three? Could the two non-tech
12 > > leads override the tech lead on a tech decision? Obviously the goal
13 > > is collaboration but presumably you want this to solve situations
14 > > where collaboration already fails. I won't go on forever but I could
15 > > see challenges either way.
16 >
17 > I dare say that one of them can make decisions if the two other don't
18 > object to them. So it's mostly a matter of establishing an agreement
19 > between the three whether they want to get involved every time,
20 > or approve deferring specific kind of decisions to one of them.
23 Ok. I agree that this is how this would normally work, but if there
24 is disagreement it is 2/3 majority rules.
25
26 I'll get to intentional game-playing at the end, but let's assume a
27 completely innocent scenario.
28
29 Imagine Joe is great with financials and has interest in the org lead
30 role, and there isn't much other interest in the job. The community
31 is happy with his work in the org lead role. However, due to the fact
32 that delegation to the tech lead is only by mutual agreement, Joe ends
33 up having a bit of an extra influence on the tech side of the distro
34 even though nobody really wants him in that role. If nothing else he
35 has way more of a voice in the leadership team than an average
36 dev/etc.
37
38 You could argue that this is a feature or a bug depending on your
39 perspective. Joe is putting in a lot of work, so maybe a bit of extra
40 bikeshedding should be a perk. On the other hand, why should Joe be
41 allowed that role? And of course Joe and the people lead might think
42 we're about to make a really stupid tech decision and override the
43 tech lead.
44
45 Not suggesting this is a show-stopper - just something to consider.
46
47 > > 5. I could see a lot of bleed-over. If you want to stack the
48 > > leadership with pro/anti-emacs members, why would you limit that to
49 > > only the technical role? Obviously I'm more concerned with more
50 > > timely issues but we all know of a bunch of hot-button topics where
51 > > top-down control can be used to push an agenda. So you could end up
52 > > with an org lead who cares little about the financials simply because
53 > > they have the right position on the hot topic of the day. Today these
54 > > jobs are more delegated so that the elected board can represent the
55 > > community but delegate the actual work to people who are more focused
56 > > on the actual work. Sure, you could blame the voters for this sort of
57 > > problem, but we already know how people tend to vote so we're not
58 > > entirely blame-free if we set it up this way...
61 > I don't really understand why you assume that such a thing would happen.
62 > Did we ever really have someone *that* unprofessional on the Council or
63 > Trustees to push puny personal agenda over the best interest
64 > of the distribution? I don't see any possible change here. The same
65 > problem can happen whether we're talking of 1, 3, 7 or 12 people
66 > in charge. Well, you could even argue that the latter is even more
67 > possible because the responsibility is diluted, while if there's just
68 > one responsible person, then the full blame goes to that person.
69
70 I'm just thinking about human nature here. Maybe it is concerning
71 systemd. Or maybe it is concerning the Code of Conduct or Social
72 Contract. There are always going to be contentious issues that are
73 often only semi-technical in nature and you can't always solve it with
74 a USE flag.
75
76 One of the differences today is that we separate the role of SME from
77 the role of decider. You can have a board that is just focused on
78 direction and overall policy/strategy, but they aren't the ones
79 leading QA. You can have a board of directors who oversees
80 everything, but they can appoint a Treasurer. Campaigns for
81 Council/Trustees in the past certainly have touched on ideological
82 issues (role of comrel/CoC and level of enforcement, Foundation vs
83 umbrella, etc).
84
85 In this model the decider is more of an SME. It is more of a
86 technocracy. The problem is that how do you vote to support having an
87 umbrella org if the most competent person to actually make sure the
88 taxes get filed wants us to run our own Foundation? There is less
89 separation of policymaking from execution this way.
90
91 I think the result is that ideology will still end up dominating, and
92 instead of the most competent SME for tech/people/org you end up with
93 3 people who have the views everybody likes the most who will just
94 appoint other people do do the tech/people/org, which basically makes
95 it no different from what we have now. I'd argue that instead of 3
96 separate elections it might be better to just have one election and
97 take the top 3 that way, and not give them titles - it just turns into
98 a combined Council/Trustees of 3.
99
100 The problem with having 3 separate elections is the
101 first-past-the-post issue: if 55% of the community is pro-systemd you
102 end up with 3 pro-systemd candidates, instead of maybe more of a
103 diverse mix with a majority in one direction.
104
105 In an ideal world I agree that this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm
106 just thinking about human nature here. And I'm not saying people are
107 even being greedy - they just want to see their viewpoints
108 represented.
109
110 In this sense, the disagreement across Council/Trustee members maybe
111 should be seen as more of a feature and less of a bug. Sure,
112 decisions would be easier if they all agreed, but that also means that
113 decisions would be easier even if 40% of the community strongly
114 disagreed with them. That spirit of independence in these bodies
115 largely reflects the attitude of the Gentoo community as a whole.
116
117 Again, this isn't meant to be some argument that we absolutely
118 shouldn't do it this way. My intent here is to raise some things to
119 think about. There are some cons that go with the pros, and we should
120 just be aware of them. I'm not saying they all have to be mitigated
121 in the design, though when straightforward to do so maybe some could
122 be.
125 Rich
128 Rich