From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 11:59:24
1 On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:13 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Whose privacy, exactly, is at stake if comrel were to breach confidentiality
4 > on this issue? I'd rather ask for a full list.
7 I wouldn't advocate opening this up even if nobody's privacy were at
8 stake, as I believe the issue goes beyond privacy. (It tends to pit
9 people against each other, if accusations are false (or true) they can
10 become damaging to reputations, and so on. Almost no organization I'm
11 aware of publishes this kind of stuff, and counterexamples are
12 welcome.)
13
14 However, opening up comrel evidence affects the privacy of the person
15 who is the subject of a comrel action, and those who told that the
16 information would be kept private when they submitted their
17 complaints/etc.
18
19 And this is a big part of why the Council decided not to open up this
20 evidence. People had already been told that information would be kept
21 private. And that is in my email WAY back at the beginning when I
22 opened this up for discussion I phrased the question in terms of what
23 kinds of expectations of privacy should we allow. IMO we can't tell
24 people that information will be kept private, and then later change
25 our minds. Now, we could have a policy that all submitted information
26 is public, and when somebody says, "could I tell you something in
27 private" Comrel could respond with, "sorry, but any information that
28 you give me that concerns another member of the community will be
29 published and I cannot promise that information will be kept private."
30
31 I still tend to favor allowing information to be submitted in private
32 for reasons I've already stated back in those 100+ post threads.
33 However, it is a debate I don't mind having.
34
35 What I don't think we can do is publish information without the
36 permission of those who provided it, without obtaining that
37 permission, which I suspect is unlikely to be forthcoming anyway.
40 Rich