From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 20:22:32
1 > General Background
2
3 > This is the first in a series of threads I plan to start, each around
4 > some aspect of our Comrel process. If you have a concern that isn't
5 > covered in this post please start a separate thread, and I do intend
6 > to start others. This isn't intended to suggest that this is the ONLY
7 > issue that is worth discussion about Comrel. I just expect there to
8 > be potentially a large amount of interest in the topic and I think
9 > we're better served if things are divided into somewhat-separable
10 > topics.
11 >
12 > In these emails I'm speaking purely on my own behalf, and not for the
13 > Council/Foundation/etc. I know these bodies have an interest in these
14 > topics and may very well offer official input at some time. I really
15 > just want to foster open discussion so that we can air opinions before
16 > we actually get to setting/changing policy.
17
18 My personal opinion is that, whatever the policy is, having it publicly
19 documented and thus setting expectations in advance will be an
20 improvement by itself.
21
22 > The Issue
23 > Recently there has been some questioning of whether we have the right
24 > balance of privacy in Comrel disputes. Some specific questions to be
25 > addressed are:
26 >
27 > 1. When information is turned over to comrel who does it get shared
28 > with, and under what circumstances?
29 > 2. Do any members of the community have an obligation to report? Can
30 > members of comrel/trustees/officers/council/etc be told information in
31 > private without it being shared back with comrel for the official
32 > record?
33
34 Depends on the issue at hand.
35
36 > 3. Specifically, what information gets shared with people named in a
37 > dispute of some kind?
38
39 See below
40
41 > 4. Under what circumstances will information be shared with a
42 > government authority/etc?
43
44 Not a lot of leeway here, if a subpoena or a search warrant gets
45 involved. IIRC, the Gentoo Foundation is a US nonprofit corporation
46 and therefore subject to US law, plus the laws of whatever state a)
47 contains the assets in question, and/or b) is the state of
48 incorporation for the foundation.
49
50 NB: I think that there should be public and convenient documentation
51 citing where the assets containing such information are located, as a
52 means of public declaration of what jurisdiction applies.
53
54 I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that the jurisdiction under which the
55 information is contained and/or serves as the state of incorporation
56 (new mexico, IIRC?) will control any "involuntary" disclosures that the
57 foundation will not have any discretion about.
58
59 So...whatever the situation here happens to be, should at least be
60 publicly documented in an easily visible manner.
61
62 > 5. Do subjects of comrel action generally have a "right to face their
63 > accuser?"
64
65 Yes and no, in my opinion. The accuser should be held responsible for
66 their accusation, but an offender who is rightly accused should not be
67 able to intimidate a witness, so to speak.
68
69 My proposal:
70
71 1. Anonymously provided information cannot, by itself, be used as
72 evidence. The identity of the "plaintiff" must at a minimum be known
73 to comrel.
74
75 2. Any member of comrel who accepts, uses in a comrel case, or posts
76 evidence or testimony from a confidential source takes responsibility
77 for the truth of the information so presented, in detail:
78
79 * They are responsible for the truth of the information
80
81 * If the information is challenged or rebutted, they are
82 responsible for relaying the challenge to the source for rebuttal.
83 This is kiiinda how spamcop works with spam reports. If the report is
84 challenged, the challenge gets sent through spamcop back to the
85 reporter.
86
87 * If the information is proven to be false or worse forged, or the
88 accuser fails his duty to support his accusation, the comrel member
89 responsible for it must either:
90
91 - take the blame for the falsehood, or
92
93 - expose the identity of the person supplying the false
94 information, and possibly process a CoC violation against the original
95 reporter for "perjury"
96
97 In this case, holding comrel responsible is only intended ot make
98 sure they do not willingly tolerate bad information. If the comrel
99 person responsible for the information is doing their job properly,
100 they should very easily be able to take the blame and dump it where it
101 belongs without any risk of eating blame they don't deserve.
102
103 3. People who give false information to comrel must be held
104 accountable for "perjury". If someone gives false evidence or makes an
105 unfounded allegation, they should be held responsible for it.
106
107 4. People who misuse comrel by deliberately making false complaints,
108 or needlessly escalating issues that do not require comrel attention,
109 should be handled the same as any other CoC violation as would be
110 reported to comrel to begin with.
111
112 * Relatedly, someone who, after agreeing to be responsible to
113 comrel for their report, fails to properly rebut any challenges, or
114 fails to withdrawi their complaint if it proves to be unfounded, is
115 themselves causing trouble for Gentoo, and should not be able to use
116 comrel-provided anonymity as a shield behind which to spam their
117 enemies with comrel bullets.
118
119 To be blunt:
120
121 If someone tries to abuse comrel by supplying a false accusation, they
122 themselves are the ones that should be held responsible for violating
123 CoC (and it should be a CoC violation to make a false complaint or
124 submit false information to comrel, if it isn't a violation already),
125 and it should be comrel's job to hold a malicious reporter responsible.
126
127 Furthermore, if a comrel member, hypothetically speaking, fails to hold
128 the malicious or negligent reporter responsible, they are aiding and
129 abetting the misconduct in question and should be willing to eat the
130 blame for it if they aren't willing to expose the true culprit.
131
132 > 6. What should be communicated about comrel actions, both proactively
133 > and when people inquire about them?
134 >
135 > I think there are a number of pros and cons to any approach we take,
136 > and it is possible for reasonable people to hold a different opinion
137 > on this topic.
140 > The Current State
141 > As best as I understand it (and corrections are welcome), this is how
142 > things work today (I'm just trying to stick to the facts in this
143 > section):
144 >
145 > Nobody in Gentoo has an obligation to raise issues to Comrel. If
146 > somebody privately tells me that they're having a problem with
147 > somebody, I can offer advice/etc, or advise them to go to Comrel, but
148 > I'm not obligated to do so.
149 >
150 > If somebody does go to Comrel, what they say is generally kept
151 > confidential from anybody not in Comrel. So, if I were to complain to
152 > Comrel that ulm has been voting against too many of my Council
153 > proposals, Comrel might or might not even tell ulm that there was a
154 > complaint, and if they did they wouldn't tell him that I made the
155 > complaint or provide any exact copies of the complaint.
156 >
157 > If somebody appeals a Comrel decision to the Council, then all
158 > information that Comrel has on the case is made available to the
159 > Council.
160 >
161 > After a case is concluded, information is maintained indefinitely, and
162 > available to some members of Comrel. It might be shared with all of
163 > Comrel if another case comes up.
164 >
165 > While this has not happened within my knowledge, I imagine that if a
166 > lawsuit came up or a threat of one, any relevant information would be
167 > shared with the Trustees and anybody they designate. There isn't any
168 > proactive monitoring by the Foundation.
169 >
170 > In general Comrel actions are kept confidential. A general member of
171 > the community (developer or otherwise) typically doesn't find out that
172 > there even has been a dispute, let alone the results of one. However,
173 > I know there have been exceptions, including a recent one on -core.
174 > When significant actions like forced retirement occur non-devs on
175 > impacted teams may not be informed, though if they make specific
176 > inquiries a fairly minimal statement might be given.
179 > Discussion
180 > Here I'll offer my own opinions, though many are not strongly held. I
181 > really want to foster discussion around the pros/cons as I don't think
182 > that the answers to the questions I framed are necessarily completely
183 > obvious.
184 >
185 > I'll start with what I see as the largest controversy: the right of
186 > the accused to face their accuser. In almost all courts this is a
187 > fairly universal right. In private companies/organizations it tends
188 > to be much less so. The main benefit of keeping complaints
189 > anonymous/private is that people will feel more free to come forward
190 > with complaints without fear of retaliation. The obvious downside is
191 > that the accused feels the process is unfair since it is a black box
192 > to them, and they may be less receptive to the legitimacy of concerns,
193 > and indeed the anonymity might result in false claims since they're
194 > harder to refute.
195 >
196 > I suspect private organizations also tend to keep this stuff
197 > confidential because it makes them harder to sue, and that concern
198 > does apply to Gentoo to some degree.
199 >
200 > Next, mandatory reporting: I think we ought to give serious
201 > consideration to it for a couple of reasons. Companies often have
202 > mandatory reporting, for example if somebody were to copy me on an
203 > email that violates company policy around something like sexual
204 > content, I could be fired merely for having been sent it but not
205 > reporting it to HR, because I have people who report to me. For
206 > positions like Trustees/Officers of the Foundation I suspect that if
207 > they're aware of a potential situation where Gentoo has some
208 > liability, they would have a fiduciary duty to act on it. That may or
209 > may not apply to Council members as well. There is another reason why
210 > mandatory reporting might make sense: it avoids putting people in
211 > leadership situations in a tricky situation where they feel like they
212 > have to both keep something confidential and try to deal with a
213 > serious problem solo, because they feel like it would be wrong to
214 > ignore it. With a mandatory reporting policy then people know
215 > up-front that leaders are basically an extension of Comrel, and then
216 > once the situation is handed off to Comrel the person it was disclosed
217 > to can safely step away and let Comrel do its job.
218 >
219 > Finally, when it comes to communicating outcomes of comrel actions, I
220 > suggest keeping the distribution minimal. If somebody is forced to
221 > retire from a leadership role, then those who were a part of their
222 > team probably should know. If somebody is forced to retire from a
223 > team then the team lead should be told. I don't really see a ton of
224 > value in communicating comrel actions widely in general. The problem
225 > with communicating things widely is that it makes it harder for the
226 > person subject to the action to re-integrate themselves into the
227 > community once any actions expire. Also, there is less risk of
228 > liability for defamation/etc if nothing is publicly communicated. At
229 > my own workplace there is really no distinction between somebody being
230 > fired and leaving of their own accord as far as announcements to
231 > coworkers and such are concerned. Indeed, there is also usually
232 > little distinction between being fired for cause or because you simply
233 > are no longer needed when it comes to communication with the person
234 > being separated either.
235 >
236 > I'll go ahead and wind this down here as it already feels a lot longer
237 > than I intended (perhaps the topic was still too broad, though I see
238 > these items as being fairly related). Again, the goal here is to spur
239 > discussion and end up with policies that there is some kind of
240 > community backing for, whether they end up being the status quo or
241 > otherwise. Ultimately whatever is decided upon should be documented
242 > so that when somebody contacts Comrel they know up-front what will be
243 > done with any information they provide, and so on.
244 >
245 > So, whether you think this is great or the worst drivel you've ever
246 > read, please do speak up...
247 >
248 > --
249 > Rich