From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 04:51:25
1 On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 01:22:24PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > NB: I think that there should be public and convenient documentation
3 > citing where the assets containing such information are located, as a
4 > means of public declaration of what jurisdiction applies.
5 The infra wiki pages of server lists do explicitly specify where the
6 various servers are physically located. None of them are in New Mexico.
7 What they don't visibly track is that that Infra can & does move
8 services around over time, depending on the availability of sponsor
9 hardware, requests of sponsors, and appropriate resources for the growth
10 of larger services. [Eg HostVirtual recently contacted us to migrate
11 some services, because they wanted to decommission old hardware]
12
13 > I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that the jurisdiction under which the
14 > information is contained and/or serves as the state of incorporation
15 > (new mexico, IIRC?) will control any "involuntary" disclosures that the
16 > foundation will not have any discretion about.
17 One of the side bits that was done many years ago, was to put certain
18 things outside of the US however, to take potential advantage of more
19 local privacy laws. For example, Forums lives in Vancouver, BC, Canada,
20 and is thus subject to BC privacy laws, which are very strong. If the
21 data is located there, can take precedence over other jurisdictions, at
22 least according to some BC lawyers.
23
24 If nothing else, it's sufficiently complex privacy law to muddy the
25 waters over data transfer.
28 Robin Hugh Johnson
29 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
30 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
32 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136