From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 03:57:46
1 On 04/02/18 01:05, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 9:59 PM, Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> If someone does not have any interest in being part of the project, why
9 >>> would they take part in the project via User Representatives?
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> I think it's pretty clear that not everyone wants to join the Gentoo
13 >> project, but many still contribute in some way to Gentoo. I think this is a
14 >> good question for User Representatives to ask, to get feedback.
15 >>
16 >> To pretend that this doesn't happen because joining Gentoo takes so little
17 >> time is a pretty silly argument, I think. If you were more in touch with
18 >> the user community I think you would be aware of tons of examples of this.
19 >> I am.
20 >>
21 That a misconception is common does not make it less of a misconception.
22 My point was quite simple: if it is taking "too much time" for anyone
23 being recruited to just get the recruiting process completed then the
24 breakdown was not due to the recruiting process itself, there was some
25 other problem that should have been addressed before formal recruiting
26 was undertaken.
29 > Didn't mean for this to sound rude -- maybe you do know of many examples of
30 > this. I think there are tons of examples of this, is my point.
31 No offense was taken.
32
33 And, yes, I have encountered the argument before, several times. That
34 was my primary reason for replying, having repeatedly seen the argument
35 that recruiting, in itself, takes too long. It doesn't, building and
36 demonstrating one's skills takes far and away more time than recruiting
37 and while that might be what has some people complaining they seem to
38 relatively often complain about recruiting itself instead.
41 > -Daniel
42 >