From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 04:21:41
1 On 07/01/17 04:08, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:27 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 06/01/17 22:22, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >>> On 01/06/2017 10:49 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 >>>> When it comes to recruiting there is quite allot. I do not think anyone will
6 >>>> say the recruitment process is expeditious.
7 >>> I can say so, becoming a dev is rather easy :)
8 >>>
9 >> I respectfully disagree .. and having seen enough potential candidates
10 >> dismissed or rescinded their applications, I have evidence to the
11 >> contrary ...
12 >>
13 > Well, applicants who are dismissed have just met one of the two
14 > possible outcomes of the process. That isn't really a failure of the
15 > process. That is assuming I understand what you meant by "dismissed."
16 >
17 > Now, applicants who give up is potentially a different matter. I'm
18 > not sure how much of that is just general backlog vs a form of
19 > selection. I don't know what the current process is but my sense at
20 > least in the past was that recruiters didn't necessarily interview
21 > candidates in the order they applied but rather prioritized those they
22 > considered most likely to be accepted, so if there was any backlog
23 > somebody could wait a long time to get into the process if they
24 > weren't considered a strong candidate. While the prioritization
25 > probably makes sense it would be ideal to at least get them through
26 > the process even if it just results in them being dismissed at the
27 > end. Obviously there isn't a lot of value in doing that vs processing
28 > another more recent candidate who actually gets accepted. The only
29 > way to prevent people from waiting forever would be to increase the
30 > number of recruiters, and that obviously requires people to volunteer.
31 >
32 Being quite careful not to point any fingers here, but:
33
34 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&list_id=3401330&namedcmd=New%20devs%20-hmm&remaction=run
35
36 Ok, so there are a few rogues in there, but a half-dozen who could be
37 contributing (more) regularly to Gentoo if the process was a bit
38 smoother and smarter .. imho ...
39
40 [with apologies if Bugzie is playin up]