From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 04:08:29
1 On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:27 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 06/01/17 22:22, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> On 01/06/2017 10:49 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 >>> When it comes to recruiting there is quite allot. I do not think anyone will
5 >>> say the recruitment process is expeditious.
6 >> I can say so, becoming a dev is rather easy :)
7 >>
8 > I respectfully disagree .. and having seen enough potential candidates
9 > dismissed or rescinded their applications, I have evidence to the
10 > contrary ...
13 Well, applicants who are dismissed have just met one of the two
14 possible outcomes of the process. That isn't really a failure of the
15 process. That is assuming I understand what you meant by "dismissed."
16
17 Now, applicants who give up is potentially a different matter. I'm
18 not sure how much of that is just general backlog vs a form of
19 selection. I don't know what the current process is but my sense at
20 least in the past was that recruiters didn't necessarily interview
21 candidates in the order they applied but rather prioritized those they
22 considered most likely to be accepted, so if there was any backlog
23 somebody could wait a long time to get into the process if they
24 weren't considered a strong candidate. While the prioritization
25 probably makes sense it would be ideal to at least get them through
26 the process even if it just results in them being dismissed at the
27 end. Obviously there isn't a lot of value in doing that vs processing
28 another more recent candidate who actually gets accepted. The only
29 way to prevent people from waiting forever would be to increase the
30 number of recruiters, and that obviously requires people to volunteer.
33 Rich