From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Code of Conduct
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 20:00:33
1 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Well... Let's put it like this. Sometime a while ago an oldtimer dev attacked a newbie dev on IRC,
3 basically just because the newbie did his job properly, and this would
4 have resulted in additional work for the oldtimer. I took the liberty of
5 telling the old guy to stfu and not interfere. Immediately, several
6 others, who had not followed the issue at all, started directing
7 comments at me, telling me I was wrong. To my immense amusement, they
8 then gave emphasized statements how things should be done, and that was
9 exactly how the *newbie* did it! Now, I dont care that much anymore.
10 However, I would suggest... If we do update our code of conduct we
11 should make one thing very clear in the code of conduct or devrel
12 guidelines or whatever: Independent of how many thousands of commits on
13 g-x86 you did or do, Noone in gentoo is irreplaceable enough to justify
14 gross misbehaviour.
15
16 Since I moderate a website I'll add this. When I volunteered to be a
17 moderator on the other site, I explained that for me to put my time and
18 effort in, the same rules apply to EVERYONE. The same punishment
19 applies to EVERYONE who breaks the rules. No preferential treatment for
20 anyone. We talked for about 2 hours over the phone on this subject.
21 After my explanation, and them seeing the logic to it, I was accepted as
22 a moderator.
23
24 Not to long ago, a important member violated a rule, rather large one at
25 that, and I took action. At first, the owner was not happy then I
26 reminded him of the phone conversation. Me moderating is a volunteer
27 position and I'm not paid for it. If there is going to be double
28 standards, find someone else. Double standards only lead to problems.
29 Yes, the user was a VIP but the rules apply to the people who own the
30 site too. They wouldn't post what that user did. They know better.
31 After the owner settled down a bit and I posted the rule I applied, then
32 he apologized for his reaction. I have not been questioned for
33 enforcing a rule since.
34
35 My point is, I been using Gentoo for about 10 years, 2003. I'm dalek on
36 the forums. Yea, I was here when -dev was a sewer of a place and I
37 wouldn't subscribe much less post anything. As it is now, -dev is a
38 MUCH better place to be even tho I rarely post anything. If you are
39 going to set up rules and have them enforced, shall I recommend they
40 apply to everyone in the same way, regardless of what they do or how
41 long they have been here? If you are not going to do that, spend your
42 time on fixing bugs and writing code and let this drop before you waste
43 time on it. There won't be any point in going further.
44
45 No, I don't want to moderate -dev. I don't read most things, just the
46 stuff that as a user I want to see coming around the corner, /usr and
47 init* and such as that. I already help on two sites as it is.
48
49 Dale
50
51 :-)
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
55 how you interpreted my words!