From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 15:24:03
1 On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 10:58:31AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 10:16 AM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 07:32:12AM +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Out of curiosity, with an umbrella organization could there be any fear
7 > > > for a similar takeover that happened with Freenode?
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > There is a possibility of such, but it is highly unlikely.
11 > >
12 > > More realistic/probable concerns are umbrellas enforcing
13 > > rules/guidelines/requirements that Gentoo may not agree with.
14 >
15 > IMO these are effectively the same thing. When the situation with
16 > Freenode was nothing more than a legal formality nobody cared about
17 > it. As soon as it starts to have practical impact on how things work
18 > (or is anticipated to), that is when everybody starts getting upset.
19 >
20 > I do think some of your examples are the sorts of things that are very
21 > likely to come up based on current trends, and you can use your
22 > imagination to consider others. Whether these are a concern or not is
23 > going to vary based on individual sentiments.
24 >
25 > Either way (umbrella takeover or internal takeover), the "Libera
26 > solution" would still be an option. This is why I think that the best
27 > defense against hostile takeover is minimizing dependence on lots of
28 > complex infrastructure for core functions. The less you have to
29 > replace the less painful it is to do. If ICE or whatever seized
30 > gentoo.org, and our emails all start bouncing and DNS addresses of
31 > servers/etc stop resolving, do enough people know how to find each
32 > other to put the band back together (I'm guessing we wouldn't lose
33 > access to IRC in that case, so probably yes)?
36 Good point. I agree this is a viable and smart option to pursue.
37
38 > This isn't intended to start a tangent, just to point out that this
39 > legal risk is hard to avoid when your operational and legal orgs are
40 > somewhat disjoint.
43 They are disjoint by design and would remain disjoint (internal or
44 umbrella), hence your decentralization point.
45
46 -Aaron