From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 14:58:46
1 On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 10:16 AM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 07:32:12AM +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Out of curiosity, with an umbrella organization could there be any fear
6 > > for a similar takeover that happened with Freenode?
9 > There is a possibility of such, but it is highly unlikely.
10 >
11 > More realistic/probable concerns are umbrellas enforcing
12 > rules/guidelines/requirements that Gentoo may not agree with.
13
14 IMO these are effectively the same thing. When the situation with
15 Freenode was nothing more than a legal formality nobody cared about
16 it. As soon as it starts to have practical impact on how things work
17 (or is anticipated to), that is when everybody starts getting upset.
18
19 I do think some of your examples are the sorts of things that are very
20 likely to come up based on current trends, and you can use your
21 imagination to consider others. Whether these are a concern or not is
22 going to vary based on individual sentiments.
23
24 Either way (umbrella takeover or internal takeover), the "Libera
25 solution" would still be an option. This is why I think that the best
26 defense against hostile takeover is minimizing dependence on lots of
27 complex infrastructure for core functions. The less you have to
28 replace the less painful it is to do. If ICE or whatever seized
29 gentoo.org, and our emails all start bouncing and DNS addresses of
30 servers/etc stop resolving, do enough people know how to find each
31 other to put the band back together (I'm guessing we wouldn't lose
32 access to IRC in that case, so probably yes)?
33
34 This isn't intended to start a tangent, just to point out that this
35 legal risk is hard to avoid when your operational and legal orgs are
36 somewhat disjoint.
39 Rich