From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 14:16:47
1 On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 07:32:12AM +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 7.7.2021 0.57, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > >
4 > > As far as I can tell, you're the only one who has done anything
5 > > concrete towards merging the Gentoo Foundation into an umbrella
6 > > organization :(
9 > Out of curiosity, with an umbrella organization could there be any fear
10 > for a similar takeover that happened with Freenode?
13 There is a possibility of such, but it is highly unlikely.
14
15 More realistic/probable concerns are umbrellas enforcing
16 rules/guidelines/requirements that Gentoo may not agree with. Examples
17 have been given in the past, but some may be licenses we may not agree
18 with, social issues (main vs master) that we may not agree with, etc.
19
20 Additionally, please keep in mind that having an impact on these
21 umbrellas generally requires some form of external membership to vote and
22 have a voice (which may be a neglible representation/impact).
23
24 These concerns are some of the reasons I have advocated to keep our
25 elected foundation representation which comes from our dev population.
26 History (over the last 2-3 years) shows that such interference with the
27 project (i.e. council) is nil. We (trustees) simply meet the legal
28 requirement to have a board, pay the bills, and stay out of the way.
29
30 -Aaron