From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:51:00
1 On 2018-06-15 04:27, kuzetsa wrote:
2 > I think I understand that viewpoint, but there's nuance:
3 >
4 > (it matters "more than zero", as you claimed)
5 >
6 > if proxy-maintainers or other contributors have no
7 > assurance that they aren't being impersonated, then
8 > a person in bad faith could spoof a submission.
9 >
10 > it's a matter of convenience for the committing dev
11 > to be able to verify my key was used for a commit.
12
13 No! And I really hope nobody is doing that:
14
15 Anyone with access to your GitHub account can add new keys. _We_ will
16 not notice if _you_ or an attacker changed your account. Therefore, any
17 third party for key management isn't an option and _must be_ ignored.
18
19 We can only rely on our own key management. If an attacker is able to
20 manipulate Gentoo LDAP (our single point of truth), Gentoo is lost. But
21 until such a scenario, this is the only reliable way to verify and
22 assume something. I.e. you cannot outsource identity management to a
23 self-service portal as offered by GitHub's account preferences.
24
25 It would be nice to maintain proxy maintainer's keys in a similar way.
26 However, given that proxy maintainer's signature will never appear in
27 Gentoo repository (it is always the developer's signature which will
28 replace the proxy maintainer's signature), there's no need to do
29 something like that at the moment because we have nothing to verify.
30
31 In summary:
32
33 - Any Gentoo developer who proxies someone should never ever trust a
34 third part for identity management. Trust must be established between
35 the dev and the proxy maintainer.
36
37 - For Gentoo developers it is important to understand that you are
38 reliable for anything signed by your key. So it doesn't really matter if
39 the PR was spoofed or not. It does only matter if the commit was harmful
40 or not. If there will ever be any doubts, it was _you_ (the Gentoo
41 developer) who caused the resulting problem because you approved and merged.
42
43 - Gentoo proxy-maintenance project is not a "push-through" service. :)
44
45 - Having green "verified" indicators on commit view next to each commit
46 on GitHub or any other non-Gentoo service is dangerous. Don't trust
47 these indicators. They don't have a meaning for Gentoo, only for the
48 platform you are using.
52 Regards,
53 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
54 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5