From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 14:55:36
1 On 06/15/2018 07:50 AM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2018-06-15 04:27, kuzetsa wrote:
3 >> I think I understand that viewpoint, but there's nuance:
4 >>
5 >> (it matters "more than zero", as you claimed)
6 >>
7 >> if proxy-maintainers or other contributors have no
8 >> assurance that they aren't being impersonated, then
9 >> a person in bad faith could spoof a submission.
10
11 {...}
12
13 > We can only rely on our own key management. If an attacker is able to
14 > manipulate Gentoo LDAP (our single point of truth),
15
16 {...}
17
18 {...} /// proxy maintainer's signature will never appear in
19 > Gentoo repository (it is always the developer's signature which will
20 > replace the proxy maintainer's signature), there's no need to do
21 > something like that at the moment because we have nothing to verify.
22
23 {...}
24
25 > - For Gentoo developers it is important to understand that you are
26 > reliable for anything signed by your key. So it doesn't really matter if
27 > the PR was spoofed or not. /// {...}
28 I'm aware of this, and it's part of what I'm troubled by:
29
30 the act of throwing away signatures from contributors is
31 a thing which I had considered mentioning in a different
32 context: ["Would you sign a Contributor License Agreement?"]
33
34 "Gentoo Developer's Certificate of Origin" - shouldn't
35 the author / contributor themselves be involved in this?
36
37 contributor keys /do/ matter, at least until the point
38 where a commit is in the tree (with signature replaced)
39
40 at some point, the contributor exercises their judgment
41 in saying to themselves: "yes, this matches what I wrote",
42 and will then reconcile their local git tree with the
43 official (developer-signed) one.
44
45 ^ meta-stuff for non-developer contributions ::sigh::
46
47 - for the original thing I was trying to say:
48
49 the analogy could be made where an employer insists that
50 all wages are issued to a preloaded debit card, rather
51 than a bank transfer or paycheck which gets handled by
52 the financial institution designated by each employee.
53
54 while possible that banks could do something malicious,
55 /not/ having a bank would increase the counterparty risk
56 for employees; separation of duties might be an apt term?
57
58 involving a 3rd party means the option is available to spot
59 any discrepancies between activity / commits in the gentoo
60 tree, versus the tree (on github, or any other 3rd party)
61 which a contributor has made transparent / visible.
62
63 -- kuza