From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:31:40
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > "Gentoo Developer's Certificate of Origin" - shouldn't
4 > the author / contributor themselves be involved in this?
7 It already requires this. The committer would have to certify:
8
9 " (4) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
10 who certified (1), (2), (3), or (4), and I have not modified it."
11
12 (or one of the other items in the list, if they did modify it)
13
14 Ultimately the committer is the person Gentoo has a relationship with,
15 so they need to make the certification when they make the commit, even
16 if it is just certifying that somebody else certified it.
17
18 This goes along with something Thomas said earlier - ultimately the
19 committers are responsible for what they commit. There really isn't a
20 sane alternative since the whole reason we try to control our
21 committers is to ensure that things don't end up in the repository
22 which shouldn't be there. This isn't diminishing the value of 3rd
23 party contributors - but simply affirming the value-add of having
24 somebody we know actually look at what is being contributed. That
25 includes the copyright/license and not just the code. After all, all
26 this stuff ends up on all our users's systems so we want to protect
27 them as well as ourselves. Users already have the freedom to use any
28 overlays they wish if they value these things differently.
31 Rich