From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:03:48
1 On 06/15/2018 11:31 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> "Gentoo Developer's Certificate of Origin" - shouldn't
5 >> the author / contributor themselves be involved in this?
8 > It already requires this. The committer would have to certify:
9 >
10 > " (4) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
11 > who certified (1), (2), (3), or (4), and I have not modified it."
12 >
13 > (or one of the other items in the list, if they did modify it)
14 >
15 > Ultimately the committer is the person Gentoo has a relationship with,
16 > so they need to make the certification when they make the commit, even
17 > if it is just certifying that somebody else certified it.
18 >
19 > This goes along with something Thomas said earlier - ultimately the
20 > committers are responsible for what they commit. There really isn't a
21 > sane alternative since the whole reason we try to control our
22 > committers is to ensure that things don't end up in the repository
23 > which shouldn't be there. This isn't diminishing the value of 3rd
24 > party contributors - but simply affirming the value-add of having
25 > somebody we know actually look at what is being contributed. That
26 > includes the copyright/license and not just the code. After all, all
27 > this stuff ends up on all our users's systems so we want to protect
28 > them as well as ourselves. Users already have the freedom to use any
29 > overlays they wish if they value these things differently.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Rich
35 OH!!! (thanks, I completely missed that detail)
36
37 from: "$ man git-commit" : [...] The meaning of a
38 signoff depends on the project, but it typically
39 certifies that committer has the rights to submit
40 this work [...]
41
42 this is frustratingly vague (to me), but I suppose
43 the extra metadata included in the same paragraph
44 has a link to: https://developercertificate.org/
45
46 ---
47 (c) The contribution was provided directly to me
48 by some other person who certified (a), (b) or (c)
49 and I have not modified it.
50 ---
51
52 ^ took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant,
53 or where that particular quote came from:
54
55 I had never considered this, because historically,
56 gentoo developers who use their PGP key to commit
57 rarely use the --signoff feature when committing the
58 submissions of a contributor, and even if they had,
59 there's not a stable definition.
60
61 in particular, I'm considering the meaning of the phrase:
62
63 "some other person who certified" - does this mean the
64 contributor needs to use their PGP key to sign or...?
65
66 it would be good for gentoo to have clarity on this.
67
68 I think it could lessen feelings / perceptions that
69 contributors ought to maintain a copy of the work on a 3rd
70 party mirror until it is no longer useful (IMO, at least).
71
72 -- kuza