From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:02:05
1 On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 20:43:03 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:02:18 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > I'm happy to revise it as needed in the
6 > > future, but ultimately if individuals appeal cases to the Council
7 >
8 > You really love this appeal to council concept. I maintain the position such
9 > should never be necessary and is a WASTE of everyone's time. I rather do work
10 > than waste time with such.
11 >
12 > I guess you haven't better things to do so rather waste your time handling
13 > appeals than making sure they never occur. Never seen someone advocate and
14 > talk about an appeal process so much.
15
16 In a perfect world the appeal process is unnecessary and a waste of
17 time, of course. However, based on the presumption that the world isn't
18 perfect and the disciplinary actions might be misguided, there's
19 an appeal process to help rule that out.
20
21 Of course, this makes only sense if there's a doubt as to
22 the legitimacy of the punishment in reference to the rules. If you know
23 that the punishment is well deserved and instead focus on claiming that
24 the rules are wrong, the appeal process doesn't make sense for you.
25
26 > > It isn't like this happens very often.
27 >
28 > I do not believe there has ever been such disruption to Gentoo by any
29 > individual or group to have ever justified Comrel and the like.
30 >
31 > > I get that your position is that we simply shouldn't enforce a code of
32 > > conduct.
33 >
34 > My opinion is the CoC and enforcement has destroyed the Gentoo community and
35 > is slowly destroying the distro. To many fail to realize everything they hope
36 > to accomplish and protect via CoC is being ripped apart by the CoC and
37 > enforcement.
38 >
39 > Do work, stop this social nonsense really!!!
40 >
41 > Disban comrel, get rid of the CoC. Focus more on getting more people involved
42 > in Gentoo. Use novel technical concepts like Email and IRC filters to ingore
43 > people who bother you. This person A made me leave the mailing list or Gentoo.
44 > Really I guess you did not get much benefit from Gentoo. If you have true
45 > technical benefit you cannot leave and will deal with what ever for a FREE
46 > operating system that is pretty complex.
47 >
48 > Really, stop acting like this is a bunch of children that need chaperones to
49 > babysit and make sure everyone behaves and treats each other nicely. What ever
50 > happened to having thick skin in tech.
51 >
52 > Freaking emo generation, lift up your dresses, grab your balls and man up!!!
53 > No offense to LGBT.... PC nonsense....
54
55 This could work if everyone was able to work with one another putting
56 their differences aside. Of course, this works for most of us. Even
57 though we shout at one another occasionally, and sometimes offend them,
58 we can move on and continue working towards better Gentoo.
59
60 That said, I don't agree with the concept of filtering. It's a bad idea
61 since it only causes more disruption, confusion, ignorance
62 and in the end more conflicts. But that's not important here.
63
64 What's important that this will never work for everyone. There are
65 people who simply can't work with one another and eventually one of
66 them leaves Gentoo. Sure, that happens, we have to live with it. There
67 is really no point in banning developer A because B said he left/would
68 leave because of him, even if we consider B much more beneficial to
69 Gentoo than A.
70
71 However, some people have the quality of being toxic to the point of
72 causing Gentoo to lose multiple contributors (contributions), sometimes
73 over even a very short period of time. That's where disciplinary strong
74 actions from Comrel become necessary. Of course, that's a rare case but
75 it happened.
76
77 Besides, Comrel is doing a really good job in resolving minor conflicts
78 that do not require any disciplinary action. Most of the time all that
79 the developers need from Comrel is an advice how to peacefully resolve
80 a particular conflict.
83 Best regards,
84 Michał Górny
85 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>