From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:15:57
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/10/2016 04:01 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> So, by putting a restriction on how positions are filled, you
5 >> potentially block positions from being filled by whoever is best
6 >> qualified and interested in spending the time. For example, Robin has
7 >> been doing excellent work for the last few months trying to get the
8 >> Foundations books in order, but he's also on Infra, and fairly vital
9 >> there from what I've seen. If those slots were mutually exclusive then
10 >> one team or the other would be deprived of his contributions, at least
11 >> in the full capacity (maybe he could serve the Foundation without being
12 >> a formal Trustee, but let's be honest and consider that people who have
13 >> official titles probably do tend to give it a bit more sustained effort).
14 >
15 > That's a good example. I think it's okay to have clearly defined roles
16 > with cooperation between groups. For instance, if the trustees needs
17 > some information that's stored on infra and doesn't have access, then
18 > it makes sense for infra to help them out on that. If they're having
19 > trouble working out the books, and someone happens to know something, I
20 > see no problem there, either. But dual memberships isn't what I think is
21 > healthy for Gentoo, its users, or its volunteers. It spreads our already
22 > dwindling talent even further, and can prevent new blood from growing
23 > into more important roles.
24
25 The Trustees were already working with Infra when needed long before
26 Robin started helping with the books, and eventually became a Trustee.
27
28 Robin wasn't taking care of the books because he had some special
29 knowledge as an Infra member. He doesn't need to be in Infra to
30 discharge his duties as Treasurer now.
31
32 He was taking care of the books because he saw that they weren't being
33 taken care of, and stepped up to do it. I suppose he could step down
34 from his role in Infra, but apparently he thinks he has time for both
35 and is needed in both roles.
36
37 Nobody would argue that it is "healthy" for Gentoo. However, neither
38 is just having the books sit unmaintained.
39
40 > Another thing to worry about is the bus factor of any
41 > given top-level group. If we need 24 people to have fully-functioning
42 > top-level projects, then maybe we should be looking into motivating more
43 > people to get into these positions rather than counting on long-term
44 > members to simply take up more of the slack and add to their workload.
45 > In short, asking ourselves why people don't want to step up and take
46 > these positions, then correcting that.
47
48 Well, start asking because this has been an issue for a fairly long
49 time now. You do realize that in the past the Trustees were not even
50 able to field as many candidates in elections as there were open
51 positions, and that their number had dwindled to something like 2-3
52 people, and the corporate registration had lapsed, making the front
53 page of all the usual FOSS news sites, right?
54
55 QA also dwindled to basically nothing before Council stepped in to run
56 the show for a short period of time (I think a Council member operated
57 as interim lead), and then we got the new GLEP where QA leads are
58 confirmed by Council. At the time people were voicing the same sorts
59 of concerns that you are raising about Comrel (which makes your
60 statement that, "I hadn't considered those two, mostly because I've
61 not seen or heard of them going out of line." a bit ironic).
62
63 This email comes to mind:
64 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/7fc87314224afdcfe9583a963fec3c0e
65
66 > In addition, wearing multiple hats can result in decisions or reasoning
67 > that makes sense in one position, but not in the one that a given person
68 > is acting in in that moment, e.g. worrying about trademark issues while
69 > acting as a councilor. :P It's bound to be stressful, so why don't we
70 > spread that work around?
71
72 Well, worrying about CoC enforcement IS the role of the Council, and
73 I'm not sure why we wouldn't care about the opinion people have about
74 how we portray ourselves on non-Gentoo media. I'm also a Foundation
75 Officer at the moment besides.
76
77 And I've been tinkering with the copyright policy because it is
78 something I started back when I was a Trustee and nobody else seems to
79 be interested in moving it along.
80
81 That's the thing with FOSS. People have their interests and they work
82 on the stuff that interests them. You can't sit and worry about how
83 stressed they must be with all the volunteering they're doing. By all
84 means be supportive, and we should help each other when we can. But
85 in the end most of us are here because we get some kind of
86 satisfaction from what we're doing. When you tell somebody that they
87 can't work on X because they're already working on Y, you're probably
88 more likely to find them working on neither than spending more time on
89 whatever it is you were trying to get them to spend time on. You
90 can't direct the work of volunteers the way you might want to.
91
92 So, if Robin wants to fix the mirror sync scripts this week and dig
93 through old tax returns next week, more power to him.
94
95 I completely agree with the bus factor and we definitely should be
96 trying to get new blood involved as much as possible (as I recall
97 Robin was taking applications for an assistant a while back).
98 However, that isn't quite the same as telling people they can't work
99 on things they want to work on.
100
101 > At no point should _any_ process be effectively a NOOP. That's a clear
102 > sign of corruption and/or incompetence. If appeals are to be NOOP,
103 > under any circumstance, then there isn't an appeal process, period. Any
104 > overseeing group _must_ be prepared to take a second look at a case, or
105 > take new evidence into consideration while reassessing a decision.
106
107 Certainly.
108
109 Perhaps NOOP was the wrong word. I wasn't suggesting that the
110 governing body would be a rubber stamp. I was merely suggesting that
111 in the ideal state the outcome of an appeal is a thorough
112 investigation followed by a decision that the original body did their
113 job correctly. That obviously wouldn't happen quite 100% of the time,
114 but if the lower body is doing the job right it should be the typical
115 outcome.
116
117 In appeals to Council so far (both from QA and Comrel, at least during
118 my terms) the Council has completely reviewed all the materials
119 available, solicited additional input, and so on.
120
121 > If I understand correctly, you're saying that some attention, even if
122 > it's from someone in another pivotal role, is better than no attention
123 > at all. If that's the case, I think we're aiming too low. We need to
124 > ask ourselves "Is comrel good for Gentoo?" "Is it improving Gentoo in
125 > any tangible or measurable way?" "What do we lose by getting rid of it?"
126 >
127 > Given that you indicated comrel hasn't been terribly active, and I've
128 > not seen any cases where it's been necessary, I think it's prime for
129 > removal. I'm open to being wrong about that, but current policy prevents
130 > comrel being accountable to even simple questions like the ones I asked.
131
132 Well, in at least the appeals I've heard of Comrel cases, the Council
133 has decided that it was necessary.
134
135 If it felt otherwise it could simply have overturned the cases.
136
137 The issue is that people sometimes cause problems, and while it is
138 fortunate that this is rare, there has been a need to sometimes deal
139 with that going all the way to the beginning. Now, back when Gentoo
140 was MUCH smaller the solution was that a few of the founders probably
141 traded an IRC message or two and then just booted them, with little to
142 no formal process at all. They were basically
143 Council+Trustees+Comrel+QA+Infra all in one. Comrel has evolved as
144 we've become more democratic and grown larger, as have the other
145 groups.
146
147 I'm open to the suggestion that there could be a better way, but
148 Comrel is generally dealing with stuff that rises above the level of
149 things that IRC Ops typically deal with.
150
151 Now I get that there is open debate over whether "Assholes are ruining
152 your project" is actually true, but I tend to be in the camp that they
153 are, and I haven't been too ashamed about being up-front about that
154 historically so hopefully people who have elected me to Council aren't
155 too surprised by that.
156
157 > I hope it's understandable that some may not have faith or trust in such
158 > entities and situations. Things are boiling down to "<group> is fine,
159 > and do a good job; trust us, we're council." I hope I don't have to
160 > explain what's wrong with that.
161
162 So, how would you propose winning over those "some" with a policy
163 change? I don't think we can just make all the cases public for both
164 legal and practical reasons. Having the lead confirmed by Council and
165 publishing anonymous stats periodically have been suggested, and seem
166 pretty likely to happen relatively soon. What more could be done
167 short of making individual disputes public?
168
169 > I appreciate that someone in the relevant groups is actually
170 > communicating about it, even if we disagree. It shows that there's some
171 > willingness to understand and maybe some sort of solution can be found
172 > in common ground between us.
173
174 I like how the CoC puts it, actually (and I had no hand in writing it):
175 * Respectfully disagree with or challenge other members.
176
177 Respectful disagreement is a behavior in the section with behaviors we
178 encourage and affirm. While I don't find these discussions
179 particularly pleasant I do think they're likely to lead to positive
180 change. The fact that you seem ignorant of the past concerns with QA
181 after it being the topic of a similar debate in the past just
182 demonstrates that it can happen. Unfortunately Comrel is another
183 order of magitude in terms of the sensitivity/controversy of decisions
184 made so I'm not so naive to think that those decisions will ever be
185 completely uncontroversial. However, I do support doing what can be
186 done.
187
188 And from my conversations with other Council members all are generally
189 on-board with Comrel reform in general. They probably just feel that
190 the email threads are somewhat repetitive, and I can't really blame
191 them for that as I find myself questioning whether I ought to reply
192 every time. For the most part I try to do so only when adding
193 something at least somewhat new. When you do hear silence I wouldn't
194 interpret it as "they don't care" so much as they don't have anything
195 new to add.
198 Rich