From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 03:22:43
1 >>>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 16:43 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> It looks like the SFC is urging foss developers to ditch github over
5 >> this.
6 >>
7 >> https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/01/open-source-developers-urged-to-ditch-github-following-copilot-launch/
8
9 > Although I don't work for GitHub specifically, it would still not be
10 > appropriate for me to wade far into this debate. In the interest of keeping
11 > things balanced though, I'll start and finish by referencing this
12 > counter-opinion.
13
14 > https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/robots_open_source/
15
16 I think the killer argument is that they apply double standards when it
17 comes to Microsoft's own codebases:
18
19 "Microsoft and GitHub’s public position is meanwhile clear: they claim to
20 have no copyleft obligations for training the model, the model itself,
21 and deploying the service. They also believe there are no licensing
22 obligations for the output.
23
24 [...] [T]hey believed [...] output produced by Copilot can be licensed
25 under any license. We further asked if there are no licensing concerns
26 on either side, why did Microsoft not also train the system on their
27 large proprietary codebases such as Office? They had no immediate
28 answer. Microsoft and GitHub promised to get back to us, but have not."
29
30 https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2022/feb/03/github-copilot-copyleft-gpl/