From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:35:32
1 On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 16:43 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 04:33:43PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Hey all,
4 > >
5 > > I just found out while I was on vacation about Github's copilot feature.
6 > >
7 > > Basically, it appears to be a machine learning feature that trains
8 > > itself on all publically available code on github and provides
9 > > code suggestions to any public or private repository.
10 > >
11 > > https://github.com/features/copilot
12 > >
13 > > There appears to be a lot of controversy around it in foss groups, so I
14 > > thought it might be worth bringing up here. I added the council and
15 > > trustees because I thought it might be worth bringing to their attention
16 > > as well. In particular, I see concerns about gpl projects being on github
17 > > if they can't opt out of this.
18 >
19 > It looks like the SFC is urging foss developers to ditch github over
20 > this.
21 >
22 > https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/01/open-source-developers-urged-to-ditch-github-following-copilot-launch/
23 >
24 > William
25
26 Although I don't work for GitHub specifically, it would still not be
27 appropriate for me to wade far into this debate. In the interest of keeping
28 things balanced though, I'll start and finish by referencing this
29 counter-opinion.
30
31 https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/robots_open_source/
32