From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 05:06:58
1 On 13/02/18 04:59, Dean Stephens wrote:
2 > On 02/12/18 19:39, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
3 >> Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
4 >>>> I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
5 >>>> actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have
6 >>>> felt this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the
7 >>>> full council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
8 >>>> Thoughts?
9 >>> By the same logic, council members should not be members of _any_
10 >>> project, because the council can override any project's decisions.
11 >> QA and Comrel are special in that they can take disciplinary action against
12 >> non-members, which there is no recourse against except appeal to the Council.
13 >>
14 > At the very least: QA, Comrel, IRC ops (in every project specific
15 > channel), planet/universe, forums, and wiki. Of those, since black
16 > helicopter fantasies appear to be the order of the day, a ban on the
17 > wiki could even, according to policy, keep a developer from joining or
18 > leaving any projects (at least without assistance), so council members
19 > should certainly not be allowed to be part of the wiki team since...
20 > then at least there would be a council member who would have actual
21 > knowledge of what the hypothetical problem that caused the wiki team to
22 > take the hypothetical step of banning someone.
23 >
24 There is a reasonable (not necessarily shared by me personally)
25 school-of-thought that says that all these projects should be under the
26 foundation 'umbrella' because they don't impact the distribution
27 directly. They are all projects which allow the Project to function.
28 This way, there could not be any conflict between these project and
29 council, and foundation would remain the overseeing body ..
30
31 However, I also know that the Foundation's mere existence is found to be
32 problematic .. so this idea falls squarely on its knees at first glance ..
33
34 Unless perhaps WilliamH and prometheanfire can flesh out a more
35 acceptable suggestion based on these principles perhaps?