From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 05:00:14
1 On 02/12/18 19:39, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
3 >>> I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
4 >>> actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have
5 >>> felt this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the
6 >>> full council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
7 >>
8 >>> Thoughts?
9 >>
10 >> By the same logic, council members should not be members of _any_
11 >> project, because the council can override any project's decisions.
12 >
13 > QA and Comrel are special in that they can take disciplinary action against
14 > non-members, which there is no recourse against except appeal to the Council.
15 >
16 At the very least: QA, Comrel, IRC ops (in every project specific
17 channel), planet/universe, forums, and wiki. Of those, since black
18 helicopter fantasies appear to be the order of the day, a ban on the
19 wiki could even, according to policy, keep a developer from joining or
20 leaving any projects (at least without assistance), so council members
21 should certainly not be allowed to be part of the wiki team since...
22 then at least there would be a council member who would have actual
23 knowledge of what the hypothetical problem that caused the wiki team to
24 take the hypothetical step of banning someone.
25
26 >> It is known prior to a council election if a candidate is a member
27 >> of ComRel or QA. So, leave it to the electorate to evaluate if such
28 >> a candidate is suitable for the council.
29 >
30 > If everything were transparent then I would tend to agree, however it is not.
31 > Comrel processes are often opaque, especially when it comes to the
32 > aforementioned disciplinary actions. I think sometimes even the individual
33 > votes are not public (only the final counts). When an appeal happens, then
34 > Council may get briefed in secret too. So evaluating the candidate based on
35 > public information becomes difficult.
38 > Best regards,
39 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn