From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:39:30
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >> I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
3 >> actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have
4 >> felt this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the
5 >> full council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
6 >
7 >> Thoughts?
8 >
9 > By the same logic, council members should not be members of _any_
10 > project, because the council can override any project's decisions.
11
12 QA and Comrel are special in that they can take disciplinary action against
13 non-members, which there is no recourse against except appeal to the Council.
14
15 > It is known prior to a council election if a candidate is a member
16 > of ComRel or QA. So, leave it to the electorate to evaluate if such
17 > a candidate is suitable for the council.
18
19 If everything were transparent then I would tend to agree, however it is not.
20 Comrel processes are often opaque, especially when it comes to the
21 aforementioned disciplinary actions. I think sometimes even the individual
22 votes are not public (only the final counts). When an appeal happens, then
23 Council may get briefed in secret too. So evaluating the candidate based on
24 public information becomes difficult.
27 Best regards,
28 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn