From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:57:38
1 >>>>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 >> It is known prior to a council election if a candidate is a member
4 >> of ComRel or QA. So, leave it to the electorate to evaluate if such
5 >> a candidate is suitable for the council.
6
7 > If everything were transparent then I would tend to agree, however
8 > it is not. Comrel processes are often opaque, especially when it
9 > comes to the aforementioned disciplinary actions. I think sometimes
10 > even the individual votes are not public (only the final counts).
11 > When an appeal happens, then Council may get briefed in secret too.
12
13 That does not apply to QA though, where decisions are in the open.
14
15 > So evaluating the candidate based on public information becomes
16 > difficult.
17
18 Don't vote for that person then? Why would we need a general rule
19 restricting voters from electing any specific candidate?
20
21 Ulrich