From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:00:49
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
5 > On 10/07/2016 07:32 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
6 >> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Raymond Jennings
9 >>> <shentino@×××××.com>
10 >>> wrote:
11 >>>> My opinion is that if a developer is bad enough to keep out, its
12 >>>> also
13 >>>> important enough to get the paperwork fixed to prove it. If they
14 >>>> have a
15 >>>> clean case it *should* be very easy to get the paperwork right.
16 >>>
17 >>> Sure, by all means leave the bug open until the paperwork is fixed,
18 >>> but I don't think that means that the developer should be allowed
19 >>> back
20 >>> in if the bug isn't closed before some deadline.
21 >>
22 >> What I want to prevent is a stagnation where a dev gets mistakenly
23 >> locked out because his case got left in limbo.
24 >>
25 >>>> But its the "due process" here that proves the developer is bad
27 >>>> begin
28 >>>> with. If comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and the
29 >>>> developer is
30 >>>> actually meritorious, its bad for gentoo to keep them out.
31 >>
32 >>> Sure, if all three of your preconditions are true I agree with your
33 >>> conclusion. However, if comrel screwed up and there was a mistake
34 >>> and
35 >>> the developer is actually still a problem, then the solution is to
36 >>> fix
37 >>> the mistakes, not keep them around.
38 >>
39 >> And how do you know whether the developer is a problem or not?
40 >
41 > You don't and I think that's really being overlooked.
42
43 That was actually my point.
44
45 > If ComRel screwed
46 > up, then "fixing" the mistake is also reversing their decisions that
47 > includes bringing back the dev. If the developer is really a problem,
48 > then ComRel will be given repeated chances to deal with the developer
49 > and eventually (well hopefully not eventually) the "due process" will
50 > be
51 > done correctly and the developer will be removed.
52 >
53 > To me this really seems to follow the line of thinking of "If the dev
54 > was really innocent of any wrong doing, no complaint would have been
55 > filed". I hope that's not the case because I find that style of logic
56 > to be both naive and dangerous.
57
58 We also want to avoid the case of this:
59
60 * Good developer gets caught in a misunderstanding
61 * They get railroaded
62 * After being deprived of the opportunity to make good contributions,
63 even if they need mentoring, they go sour on Gentoo as a whole and find
64 somewhere else to contribute.
65 * They walk away feeling resentful and we make an enemy.
66
67 The whole point of due process is to catch mistakes before they get set
68 in stone. If someone turns into a sourpuss because they got screwed
69 over, even by mistake, that is bad.