From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 14:54:38
1 On 10/07/2016 07:32 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>> My opinion is that if a developer is bad enough to keep out, its also
6 >>> important enough to get the paperwork fixed to prove it. If they
7 >>> have a
8 >>> clean case it *should* be very easy to get the paperwork right.
9 >>
10 >> Sure, by all means leave the bug open until the paperwork is fixed,
11 >> but I don't think that means that the developer should be allowed back
12 >> in if the bug isn't closed before some deadline.
13 >
14 > What I want to prevent is a stagnation where a dev gets mistakenly
15 > locked out because his case got left in limbo.
16 >
17 >>> But its the "due process" here that proves the developer is bad to
18 >>> begin
19 >>> with. If comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and the
20 >>> developer is
21 >>> actually meritorious, its bad for gentoo to keep them out.
22 >
23 >> Sure, if all three of your preconditions are true I agree with your
24 >> conclusion. However, if comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and
25 >> the developer is actually still a problem, then the solution is to fix
26 >> the mistakes, not keep them around.
27 >
28 > And how do you know whether the developer is a problem or not?
29
30 You don't and I think that's really being overlooked. If ComRel screwed
31 up, then "fixing" the mistake is also reversing their decisions that
32 includes bringing back the dev. If the developer is really a problem,
33 then ComRel will be given repeated chances to deal with the developer
34 and eventually (well hopefully not eventually) the "due process" will be
35 done correctly and the developer will be removed.
36
37 To me this really seems to follow the line of thinking of "If the dev
38 was really innocent of any wrong doing, no complaint would have been
39 filed". I hope that's not the case because I find that style of logic
40 to be both naive and dangerous.
41
42 -Nicholas Vinson
45 >>> Also, I just realized that the "everyone votes" blocks comrel
46 >>> manpower from
47 >>> scaling.
48 >>>
49 >>> What if each member of comrel was granted the discretion to handle
50 >>> everything as they themselves saw fit, subject to the provision that
51 >>> the
52 >>> comrel lead/comrel as a group/the council could receive appeals?
53 >>
54 >> I tend to agree with this, or a process where Comrel assigns a small
55 >> group of devs to each case. The Comrel lead or maybe the entirety of
56 >> Comrel could keep a general eye on things as a level of QA and there
57 >> would still be Council appeals. I've heard the issue raised that the
58 >> system where all of Comrel deals with every case also causes issues
59 >> when some members of Comrel aren't around or don't have time to deal
60 >> with every case. Basically it makes all of Comrel as fast as its
61 >> slowest member. Imagine if every stablereq required every member of
62 >> an arch team to approve it? It would be like Ago trying to swim with
63 >> concrete shoes.
64 >
65 > And this is exactly why I suggest breaking comrel up into a team of
66 > independent agents overseen by guidelines that preserve uniformity.
67 >
68 > Being geeks we are all probably familiar with the benefits of
69 > parallelization. It's like
70 >
71 > # make comrel -jN
72 >
73 > :)
74 >
75 > And that means comrel shouldn't be drowning in its own red tape.
76 >
77 >> Indeed, with the model where all Comrel members deciding every case
78 >> recruiting more manpower to Comrel would actually have the ironic
79 >> effect of lowering their productivity. The best thing you could do in
80 >> such a model is instead boot out the slowest contributors.
81 >>
82 >>>> Imagine if stale stablereqs could be appealed
83 >>>> to Council... :)
84 >>>
85 >>> Maybe not stale stablereqs themselves. This is a volunteer project
86 >>> with
87 >>> finite manpower.
88 >>>
89 >>> However, someone deliberately *ignoring* a stablereq when there's a
90 >>> large
91 >>> need for it MIGHT be more worthy of an escalation. But merely being
92 >>> overworked should not be an offense, and it would probably go
93 >>> through comrel
94 >>> first.
95 >>
96 >> If you punish people for ignoring important bugs at times, then you
97 >> just encourage people to not sign up for the job in the first place.
98 >> If you have a single queue multiple server model (which is how most
99 >> projects tend to work, including arch teams), then the queue only
100 >> stalls if all the servers stall. The solution in this case isn't to
101 >> kick out servers, but rather to encourage more to show up and deal
102 >> with the high priority bugs (the reality is that our servers don't
103 >> strictly work on bugs in priority order, though again I think that
104 >> trying to change this could actually lower throughput). Even if a
105 >> server only closes one bug per year, that still has a net positive
106 >> impact on the queue (assuming zero overhead, which is mostly true for
107 >> the way we work).
108 >
109 > My point is that going after people for deliberately ignoring stablereq
110 > is *less* stupid than spamming council with appeals on stale stablereq.
111 >
112 > I never said it was a good idea, just less bad.
113 >
114 > The proper solution would probably be an algorithm that flags the most
115 > urgent stablereq's.
116 >
117 > stablereq triage score = age in days * number of reverse deps blocked on
118 > the stablereq
119 >
120 > Google lives and breathes and eats algorithms, and they even use gentoo
121 > devs as a recruiting ground (hello recruiters!).
122 >> --
123 >> Rich