From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 14:32:47
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Raymond Jennings
3 > <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> My opinion is that if a developer is bad enough to keep out, its
5 >> also
6 >> important enough to get the paperwork fixed to prove it. If they
7 >> have a
8 >> clean case it *should* be very easy to get the paperwork right.
9 >
10 > Sure, by all means leave the bug open until the paperwork is fixed,
11 > but I don't think that means that the developer should be allowed back
12 > in if the bug isn't closed before some deadline.
13
14 What I want to prevent is a stagnation where a dev gets mistakenly
15 locked out because his case got left in limbo.
16
17 >> But its the "due process" here that proves the developer is bad to
18 >> begin
19 >> with. If comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and the
20 >> developer is
21 >> actually meritorious, its bad for gentoo to keep them out.
22
23 > Sure, if all three of your preconditions are true I agree with your
24 > conclusion. However, if comrel screwed up and there was a mistake and
25 > the developer is actually still a problem, then the solution is to fix
26 > the mistakes, not keep them around.
27
28 And how do you know whether the developer is a problem or not?
29
30 >> Also, I just realized that the "everyone votes" blocks comrel
31 >> manpower from
32 >> scaling.
33 >>
34 >> What if each member of comrel was granted the discretion to handle
35 >> everything as they themselves saw fit, subject to the provision
36 >> that the
37 >> comrel lead/comrel as a group/the council could receive appeals?
38 >
39 > I tend to agree with this, or a process where Comrel assigns a small
40 > group of devs to each case. The Comrel lead or maybe the entirety of
41 > Comrel could keep a general eye on things as a level of QA and there
42 > would still be Council appeals. I've heard the issue raised that the
43 > system where all of Comrel deals with every case also causes issues
44 > when some members of Comrel aren't around or don't have time to deal
45 > with every case. Basically it makes all of Comrel as fast as its
46 > slowest member. Imagine if every stablereq required every member of
47 > an arch team to approve it? It would be like Ago trying to swim with
48 > concrete shoes.
49
50 And this is exactly why I suggest breaking comrel up into a team of
51 independent agents overseen by guidelines that preserve uniformity.
52
53 Being geeks we are all probably familiar with the benefits of
54 parallelization. It's like
55
56 # make comrel -jN
57
58 :)
59
60 And that means comrel shouldn't be drowning in its own red tape.
61
62 > Indeed, with the model where all Comrel members deciding every case
63 > recruiting more manpower to Comrel would actually have the ironic
64 > effect of lowering their productivity. The best thing you could do in
65 > such a model is instead boot out the slowest contributors.
66 >
67 >>> Imagine if stale stablereqs could be appealed
68 >>> to Council... :)
69 >>
70 >> Maybe not stale stablereqs themselves. This is a volunteer project
71 >> with
72 >> finite manpower.
73 >>
74 >> However, someone deliberately *ignoring* a stablereq when there's a
75 >> large
76 >> need for it MIGHT be more worthy of an escalation. But merely being
77 >> overworked should not be an offense, and it would probably go
78 >> through comrel
79 >> first.
80 >
81 > If you punish people for ignoring important bugs at times, then you
82 > just encourage people to not sign up for the job in the first place.
83 > If you have a single queue multiple server model (which is how most
84 > projects tend to work, including arch teams), then the queue only
85 > stalls if all the servers stall. The solution in this case isn't to
86 > kick out servers, but rather to encourage more to show up and deal
87 > with the high priority bugs (the reality is that our servers don't
88 > strictly work on bugs in priority order, though again I think that
89 > trying to change this could actually lower throughput). Even if a
90 > server only closes one bug per year, that still has a net positive
91 > impact on the queue (assuming zero overhead, which is mostly true for
92 > the way we work).
93
94 My point is that going after people for deliberately ignoring stablereq
95 is *less* stupid than spamming council with appeals on stale stablereq.
96
97 I never said it was a good idea, just less bad.
98
99 The proper solution would probably be an algorithm that flags the most
100 urgent stablereq's.
101
102 stablereq triage score = age in days * number of reverse deps blocked
103 on the stablereq
104
105 Google lives and breathes and eats algorithms, and they even use gentoo
106 devs as a recruiting ground (hello recruiters!).
107 > --
108 > Rich