From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:22:18
1 On Sun, Jul 17, 2022, at 14:42 CDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Well, what exactly does copilot have to do with anything? If the
4 > concern is about copilot "misappropriating" Gentoo's code, then it
5 > seems we agree that moving off of Github won't change anything.
6
7 I completely agree.
10 I think this is the main point.
11
12 There is no way of preventing our publicly available source repository
13 to be used for machine learning - at least if we want to make it
14 available at all...
17 It is just a coincidence that Github is using public git repositories
18 hosted at Github and that Github *is informing us about the fact*. For
19 example, Amazon has launched/is launching a competitor [1] that had been
20 trained on an undisclosed number of public open source code.
21
22 Best,
23 Matthias
24