From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:43:05
1 On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 3:19 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Of course someone could push everything back to github; however, there
4 > is nothing we can do about that so that is completely moot for this
5 > discussion.
6
7 Well, what exactly does copilot have to do with anything? If the
8 concern is about copilot "misappropriating" Gentoo's code, then it
9 seems we agree that moving off of Github won't change anything.
10
11 The social contract talks about how "Gentoo will never depend upon
12 [proprietary software]." It doesn't mention anything about Gentoo not
13 enabling it/etc. In fact our policies allow proprietary software to
14 be in our repository (obviously with restrictions on mirroring/etc).
15 Some argue that this is enabling proprietary software, but even if so
16 we're not breaking any promises.
19 Rich