From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 20:33:18
1 On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 03:42:52PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 3:19 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Of course someone could push everything back to github; however, there
5 > > is nothing we can do about that so that is completely moot for this
6 > > discussion.
7 >
8 > Well, what exactly does copilot have to do with anything? If the
9 > concern is about copilot "misappropriating" Gentoo's code, then it
10 > seems we agree that moving off of Github won't change anything.
11 >
12 > The social contract talks about how "Gentoo will never depend upon
13 > [proprietary software]." It doesn't mention anything about Gentoo not
14 > enabling it/etc. In fact our policies allow proprietary software to
15 > be in our repository (obviously with restrictions on mirroring/etc).
16 > Some argue that this is enabling proprietary software, but even if so
17 > we're not breaking any promises.
18
19 Rich,
20
21 The question is around the GPL specifically.
22
23 the point is, are we as a project ok with copylot re-appropriating
24 our GPL code, possibly to proprietary projects, which could be argued
25 violates the GPL?
26
27 http://giveupgithub.org
28
29 If we are ok with this as a project, I guess that's fine, but I brought
30 it up to get thoughts about that angle.
31
32 William