From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 06:04:14
1 On Sun, 2022-07-17 at 15:33 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 03:42:52PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 3:19 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Of course someone could push everything back to github; however, there
6 > > > is nothing we can do about that so that is completely moot for this
7 > > > discussion.
8 > >
9 > > Well, what exactly does copilot have to do with anything? If the
10 > > concern is about copilot "misappropriating" Gentoo's code, then it
11 > > seems we agree that moving off of Github won't change anything.
12 > >
13 > > The social contract talks about how "Gentoo will never depend upon
14 > > [proprietary software]." It doesn't mention anything about Gentoo not
15 > > enabling it/etc. In fact our policies allow proprietary software to
16 > > be in our repository (obviously with restrictions on mirroring/etc).
17 > > Some argue that this is enabling proprietary software, but even if so
18 > > we're not breaking any promises.
19 >
20 > Rich,
21 >
22 > The question is around the GPL specifically.
23 >
24 > the point is, are we as a project ok with copylot re-appropriating
25 > our GPL code, possibly to proprietary projects, which could be argued
26 > violates the GPL?
27 >
28 > http://giveupgithub.org
29 >
30 > If we are ok with this as a project, I guess that's fine, but I brought
31 > it up to get thoughts about that angle.
34 ...and if we were not, we should make a pointless gesture that makes no
35 difference except for causing harm to our contributors?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny