From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 08:42:27
1 On 2022.07.17 21:33, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > The question is around the GPL specifically.
6 >
7 > the point is, are we as a project ok with copylot re-appropriating
8 > our GPL code, possibly to proprietary projects, which could be argued
9 > violates the GPL?
10 >
11 > http://giveupgithub.org
12 >
13 > If we are ok with this as a project, I guess that's fine, but I
14 > brought
15 > it up to get thoughts about that angle.
16 >
17 > William
21 William,
22
23 The GPL permits use code use under certain conditions.
24 It places the onus on code users to respect the licence.
25
26 Attempts at pre-emptive enforcement takes us down the
27 route of (DRM) Digital Restrictions Management. That's
28 hardly in the spirit of the GPL.
29
30 There are no good solutions. The least worst is 'no change'
31
32 Wherever our public repo is, it's public, so Github can
33 help themselves anyway.
36 Regards,
37
38 Roy Bamford