From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:19:25
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 04:27:38PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 3:56 PM John Helmert III <ajak@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 06:35:32PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > I get the sentiment, but I don't see what direct impact it will have.
7 > > > If Gentoo stops using Github all our code will inevitably still be on
8 > > > there and will still end up being used to train copilot.
9 > >
10 > > Inevitably? If most of our activity moves somewhere else, I don't see
11 > > why we couldn't blow away all of https://github.com/gentoo.
14 > Setting aside any concerns about pull requests/etc that are
15 > effectively stored only there, even if we deleted it we're still
16 > talking about git. Sooner or later somebody will push a copy of
17 > things there, so even if we aren't proactively mirroring repositories
18 > anything anybody does that is GPL is pretty likely to end up there. A
19 > repo might be gitlab-only for years, and then somebody does a git
20 > push, and now the entire history is on github the same as if we were
21 > doing every push there the whole time.
22
23 What someone else does is irrelivent. I'm just talking about the
24 cannonical places where we store repos and accept pull requests from.
25
26 Of course someone could push everything back to github; however, there
27 is nothing we can do about that so that is completely moot for this
28 discussion.
29
30 William