From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:27:48
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 3:56 PM John Helmert III <ajak@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 06:35:32PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I get the sentiment, but I don't see what direct impact it will have.
6 > > If Gentoo stops using Github all our code will inevitably still be on
7 > > there and will still end up being used to train copilot.
8 >
9 > Inevitably? If most of our activity moves somewhere else, I don't see
10 > why we couldn't blow away all of https://github.com/gentoo.
13 Setting aside any concerns about pull requests/etc that are
14 effectively stored only there, even if we deleted it we're still
15 talking about git. Sooner or later somebody will push a copy of
16 things there, so even if we aren't proactively mirroring repositories
17 anything anybody does that is GPL is pretty likely to end up there. A
18 repo might be gitlab-only for years, and then somebody does a git
19 push, and now the entire history is on github the same as if we were
20 doing every push there the whole time.
21
22 Information wants to be free and all that... (And in this case it is
23 completely legal.)
26 Rich