From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 19:34:06
1 On 18-09-06 14:37:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Yury German <blueknight@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > What prevents us from running an Official binhost? Do we really need Foundation approval (nothing against Foundation).
5 > > It would just be forming an official project would’t it?
8 > Coordinating with infra probably wouldn't hurt, but per GLEP 39:
9 > "Any dev may create a new project just by creating a new project page
10 > on the wiki.gentoo.org (see [2]) and sending a Request For Comments
11 > (RFC) e-mail to gentoo-dev. Note that this GLEP does not provide for a
12 > way for the community at large to block a new project, even if the
13 > comments are wholly negative."
14 >
15 > So, kick it off. You could host it on anything really to start.
16 > Honestly, I think that is a good model anyway - try to make it
17 > something infra could accept, but with hosting being more of a
18 > commodity these days it might make more sense to just let devs do
19 > their thing and then centralize it later.
20 >
21 > Now, if you lack the necessary hardware and want somebody else to pay
22 > for it all, that would require Foundation approval, assuming you want
23 > them to do the paying. The conditions on that are up to the trustees,
24 > but I'd hope that they would require coordination with infra so that
25 > we're not just handing out free servers...
28 Yep, the main reason I suggest infra's involvement at all is the compute
29 resources required along with mirroring. Other than that anyone can do
30 it (I could publish my binhost stuff I do internally).
33 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)