From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 18:37:21
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Yury German <blueknight@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > What prevents us from running an Official binhost? Do we really need Foundation approval (nothing against Foundation).
4 > It would just be forming an official project would’t it?
7 Coordinating with infra probably wouldn't hurt, but per GLEP 39:
8 "Any dev may create a new project just by creating a new project page
9 on the wiki.gentoo.org (see [2]) and sending a Request For Comments
10 (RFC) e-mail to gentoo-dev. Note that this GLEP does not provide for a
11 way for the community at large to block a new project, even if the
12 comments are wholly negative."
13
14 So, kick it off. You could host it on anything really to start.
15 Honestly, I think that is a good model anyway - try to make it
16 something infra could accept, but with hosting being more of a
17 commodity these days it might make more sense to just let devs do
18 their thing and then centralize it later.
19
20 Now, if you lack the necessary hardware and want somebody else to pay
21 for it all, that would require Foundation approval, assuming you want
22 them to do the paying. The conditions on that are up to the trustees,
23 but I'd hope that they would require coordination with infra so that
24 we're not just handing out free servers...
27 Rich