From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:02:06
1 On 5 October 2012 06:31, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I don't see any advantage in deprecating intermediate EAPIs, before we
5 >> deprecate EAPI 0. What problem are you trying to solve?
8 > ++
9 >
10 > I'm all for a policy that says to use slot deps whenever appropriate,
11 > or to otherwise do things that actually have a real impact on the
12 > quality/functionality of the distro. That might in practice mean
13 > using newer EAPIs on a lot of stuff. However, I don't see the value
14 > in bumping for its own sake.
15 >
16 > Legislate outcomes, not details.
17 >
18 > Rich
21 I don't think deprecating EAPIs for new ebuilds is a good/useful
22 thing. Sure the new EAPIs are nice and all, but if the package works
23 fine with an older EAPI and there's no need to use the features of a
24 newer one, why not leave it?
25
26 In some cases, EAPI bumps are detrimental to users on old systems that
27 have a older portage because they wind up being blocked by stuff like
28 new portage requiring new python which requires pkgconfig and all
29 pkgconfig ebuilds are EAPI=4 so you're stuck.